DjangoBooks.com

Galli's gypsy/argentine style strings vs. silk & steel

McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
Has anyone played the Galli GSB style strings? These are the gypsy/argentine style, as opposed to the GSL silk and steel style. Any comments about consistency, comparisons to Savarez Argentine strings?

Thanks!

Comments

• McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    I'm thinking if 36 people viewed this and didn't respond, then probably players buying Galli are getting the GSL (silk and steel). I was concerned with consistency of Argentines, but just saw the post about it really only being an issue with the loop end strings--that the ball end Argies are just fine.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    McQ wrote:
    I'm thinking if 36 people viewed this and didn't respond, then probably players buying Galli are getting the GSL (silk and steel).

Actually, more people buy the GSBs
    Interesting...generally speaking are the Galli GSB more consistent than the Argies?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Personally, I've never had one bad Argentine string in ten years....but others seem to have problems on a regular basis. I think some people's guitars, playing style, or body chemistry just doesn't jive with the Argies.

The main difference between Argies and every other string is that Argies have a round core. This probably makes them less stable, but it also makes them brighter and more supple then other strings. All the others, including Galli, are hex core and have a stiffer feel which makes them harder to play. So it's a trade off...

But again, seems like 90% people have no issues with the Argies. It seems to be an idiosyncratic problem...
    That really helps clear things up for me, and I wasn't sure about the core of the Galli GSB. Since I like the tension and suppleness with the Galli VO27 silk and steel 11s, then I am definitely going to get some 10 gauge Argentines, and then see if I want to change the high b and e to 15 and 11. Thank you so much!
  • IMO the strings have different sounds and I guess I could say work better on one guitar but sound is such a personal thing. On my M&M GJ beach guitar I like the Galli Silks sound best.

On my buddies Dunn the Argies sound best to my ear but his skin oils eat them alive in an hour or two.

My Dunn uses the Thomastik Classic S which have a really full sound and a feel way nicer than either of the others but probably not enough tension for all but the lightest built Selmer style guitars. Interestingly they have a wound B.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed