DjangoBooks.com

Downloading Youtube Videos to .wmv Format

BonesBones Moderator
edited October 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 3,319
My old method does not seem to be working these days.

Does anyone know a good, user friendly way of doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Can you tell me your old way and the browser you're using? Pretty sure there are plenty of ways to get it done, but that should narrow it down and hopefully get you something similar to what you're used to using...

best,
    Jack
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Jack,

My browser in Internet Explorer.

My old method:

1. Copy the URL of the Youtube vid.
    2. Go to zamzar.com/url and paste the Youtube URL into the URL box in the menu, pick .wmv format in the next window, type in my email, then click convert.
    3. They email me a link where I can download my converted file.

Lately, the downloaded file won't play on my Windows Media Player.

Thanks
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried any of the similar sites out there (keepvid.com or tubegrip.com for instance)? Take a look at this page for some ideas...I used to use vixy.net pretty often with good results. Hope that helps!

(One other note: if you switch to Firefox, you can add a youtube downloader right into the browser.)

best,
    Jack.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    I'll second the recommendation to use FireFox browser. It has a few choices for addingi plug-ins that allow downloading vids from several different sites, not just YouTube. Most don't go to a 3rd party site for conversion. I use both Windows and Linux, and find the itunes app supports the mp4 versions pretty well. Linux has some nice tools like 'Movie Player', which play .flv movies, so no conversion is necessary.

Cheers!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks guys! I'll try those ideas.
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    I had good experience with the "Free Download Manager", freeware program downloadable from a lot of sites (just google it). Next to many other functions, you can download flv files and convert them into many formats.
    The intergated browser solution sounds great, though.
  • seashellseashell New
    http://onlineconverter.daniusoft.com/

This online converter may be helpful:)
  • McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    On a related note, you might try viewing files using VLC media player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Plays just about any format. So if something isn't playing on VLC, then it is more likely the issue is that there is something wrong with the file and not that your particular media player isn't recognizing the particular file format (codec).
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    (Contributing to an old thread.)

There's a newish site called http://www.dirpy.com/ that gives you an MP3 or video for a given YouTube clip.

Adrian