best solution for amplification the GJ lead guitar

amplification[/i][/b]

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    A lot of people seem to like the pro70
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I like the consistency and reliability of a BigTone through a Unico amp...
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    7. Schatten pickup & ATM350 both going into Headway EDB1, then wherever you like.. Amp..PA... Amp & PA.

The "real"est acoustic sound i've encountered with these instruments. And the thing i like most is the ability to blend the two sources to suit where you play. If it's quiet, more mic for a very real sound. If it's loud pump up the pickup for more feedback resistance (after using the very effective notch filter & EQing on the headway). You have to be in a very unsuitable environment for this little combo not to work real well.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    djangology wrote:
    I like the consistency and reliability of a BigTone through a Unico amp...

John,

Can you expand a little on your Bigtone and Unico setup? I using the same thing and am curious what your setup is. I'm recently using a D-TAR Sadducer piezo element (Thanks Constantine!) in the bridge, run through a Baggs Para DI pre into the Stat channel on the Unico.

Craig
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    John, make sure you read and maybe memorize Michaels post on amplification:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3850

This single post is incredibly profound and if it was the only post on this entire forum, it would still be worth coming here.
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 48
    [/i]
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Mehran s wrote:
    - setup the ATM350 on guitar? how ?do u tested it?

There's a picture i posted here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5428 of how it's set up on my guitar, the mount comes with the ATM350 (the mount was designed for the violin, but works perfectly on any sel-mac or anything with that style bridge. i.e. i use it on my Dobro too).

Mehran s wrote:
    Radial pz versus Headway EDB-1,which one is better ? <please with reason>

I only have experience with the Schatten preamp, the Fishman Pro EQ 2 platinum & the Headway EDB1..The sound out of the Headway stands head & shoulders above the others, before even taking into account the whole double input phantom power blended signal nonsense that just makes it a dream to use with a pickup & mic combi...
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 48
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I think so
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Okay here goes...

SM 98 and DYN G.
    The SM 98 mic is mounted on large bobby pin, which slides onto the soundhole with the mic positioned inside the soundhole (ala Bireli) That goes into Unico channel with phantom power. Then I put a Highlander PAMDI in the insert for EQ. Then I plug the DYN G into the second channel of the PAMDI to give the eq it needs. Since the DYN G is not directly plugged into the amp, it bypasses the PAMDI channel that the mic get. Since the insert point is post pre-amp, the Dyn G gets just the gain it needs.

Then PAMDI is nice because each channel has four band tune-able eq. It's like parametric but without bandwidth control. Also, the low and the high are low-pass and high-pass, resp. This makes a lot of sense to me, and makes the unit easier to use than if you had to select a center frequency for very low or very high frequencies.

The guitar and amp setup I use depends on the gig, and I often just use a microphone, which is my fave.

Mike