DjangoBooks.com

Manouche Guitars biting the dust!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
From the UK co's Web site:

With effect from the end of February 2010, Manouche Guitars Ltd will cease to trade as a Limited Company as the two Directors are parting by mutual consent. Both Tony and John are setting up two new individual Companies to promote and trade Manouche style guitars.

Tony Walker as 'JWC Guitars Ltd', building, promoting and selling hand built/high end Gypsy Jazz , classical guitars and assessories , built by Jeongwoo Cho.

http://www.jwc-guitars.com

John Vickers as 'The Selmer Guitar Company'. - The Selmer Guitar Company will continue to build the most authentic replica selmer models available with every attention to detail.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7283
    sad days indeed :cry:
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Ah, I missed that one. Thanks.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    klaatu wrote:
    John Vickers as 'The Selmer Guitar Company'. - The Selmer Guitar Company will continue to build the most authentic replica selmer models available with every attention to detail. [/i]

So that's the new creator of Michael's mystery new Selmer reissue?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Apparently. Mystery solved!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    ...no

but enough of the guessing, gents - you're going to drive poor Michael to distraction.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Bob Holo wrote:
    ...no

but enough of the guessing, gents - you're going to drive poor Michael to distraction.

I think we were both joking. :wink: I know I was.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    I'm not trying to engage in a guessing game or to drive anyone to distraction. I'm just asking an innocent question.

If John Vickers is going to be doing business as The Selmer Guitar Company, will he be producing guitars under license from the Selmer Company?

I gather from Bob's comments that they won't be like the aged replica currently for sale by Michael, or made by the same luthier, but the inference made in that other thread is that Selmer didn't want to get back into the guitar game. Was I somehow wrong in drawing that inference, in light of John Vickers' announcement?

Tell me if there's a joke here that I'm missing, because, otherwise, I don't get it.
    Tele295 wrote:
    Tell me if there's a joke here that I'm missing, because, otherwise, I don't get it.

Oop, sorry, I took your question to be tongue in cheek. My response was.

However, you pose an interesting question. I was wondering myself, how did John Vickers get the rights to call his company by the Selmer name? Did he license it from Selmer? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • I too am confused by this ..... who actually owns the rights to the name the Selmer Guitar Company ...or is it even trademarked internationally....

I hope someone who is knowledgeable will enlighten us.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I think you're with me now. Will there be an affordable GJ guitar in the future that says "Selmer" on the headstock?