DjangoBooks.com

New Macaferri style guitar

stan2044stan2044 Vancouver BCNew
I have just bought an Aria M10 Django/Macaferri guitar from Rufus guitars in Vancouver Canada. It is almost identical to the Gitane and probably made in the same factory. The cost was $400 Canadian (about $330 US). I bought the D mouth with 12 frets and 640mm scale. The oval mouth is the same price with the 26 5/8mm scale and 14 frets. It sounds and plays great This has got to be a great deal.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
  • stan2044stan2044 Vancouver BCNew
    Thanks for the info. I wish I had known. It seems incredible value having played the Gitane and the Aria side by side.

Stan2044
    I telephoned the company advertising them at $200 to buy another for a friend, They tell me they don't have stock and none are in the US yet. and they should not have been advertised on the site.
  • drollingdrolling New
    And I thought I was getting a heck of a deal on my Gitanes...

How low will it go? You can now get decent strat style guitars for a under a hundred bucks. Will we soon be seeing Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash) and Agile (Rondo Music) brands producing selmacs for $99.95 case included?

Anyone tried one of those new Paris Swing (Johnson) guitars? Are they even cheaper than the Arias?
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    How about putting up a recording strumming a few chords and playing a few phrases to get an idea what it sounds like? Does it have the standard arch to the top and parallel braces?
    Dave
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    played a $3000 delle arte the other day. the only thing it's got over my gitane is an accurate neck pitch (the intonation on my gitane blows), and newer strings. i'd say that about 80% of the sound comes from the player (and the rest-stroke), 7.5% from the strings, 7.5% from the pick, and the rest is the guitar. don't get me wrong, i'll take the $3000 guitar over the $500 any day, but i'm having trouble remembering why.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Hi, Stan!

As in perspective I'm interesting in D-holes - traditional questions about your Aria guitar:

- tailpiece quality?
    - action at 12th with the factory bridge?

- tuners quality?
    - overal neck and frets quality?
    - etc...

Thanks for the info!
    Anton
    1. Tailpiece same quality as Gitane but no insert, all brass
    2. comes with Argentine strings fitted.
    3 Action at 12th fret a little higher than Gitane.
    4. Tuner quality same as Gitane acceptable
    5 Neck and frets great, slimline neck and no rough frets.
    6. Both the small and Big mouth guitars have the domed soundboard and are very loud.
    7. Impressive quality for the price.

Hope this helps I am ordering both kinds from the MusitionsPro website at a lot less than the cost of one Gitane, If I change the tuners and bridges on both it will still be cheaper than the Gitane. They tell me they are axpecting them in the next two weeks as Aria have taken delivery.
    Sweet! This might be what I was looking for. I was debating whether I shell out for a Gitane or shell out even more to get Michael Dunn to build me one but since these are so damn cheap and seem to be as good as the Gitane, if not better, I think I just might get me one!
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    a wrote:
    played a $3000 delle arte the other day. the only thing it's got over my gitane is an accurate neck pitch (the intonation on my gitane blows), and newer strings. i'd say that about 80% of the sound comes from the player (and the rest-stroke), 7.5% from the strings, 7.5% from the pick, and the rest is the guitar. don't get me wrong, i'll take the $3000 guitar over the $500 any day, but i'm having trouble remembering why.

That reminds me of a great story Kenny Werner told about a big birthday bash for Bill Evans. The guest list was a who's who of jazz and pianists and there was a piano there which was said to have a tinny quality to the sound. Story goes, everbody sat down and played something and the piano sounded tinny, until Bill Evans played and suddenly it sounded as lush as the best concert grand you ever heard.

Sorry to get off topic, but I just love that story.