DjangoBooks.com

Anyone have experience with Geronimo Mateos guitars?,

Hello,

I played an old Gallato yesterday and, from what I understandde , their new guitars (I saw one new for $1500) aren't made the same way. Has anyone played a Mateos guitar? Does anyone know where to buy them in the US? I'm looking to step up from my Cigano D hole in the not-too-distant future. If you have any other guitar suggestions in the ~$2,000 range, I would appreciate those, too.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Michael Horowitz sometimes gets a few Mateos for sale and you might find some at http://www.****
    I've played a few and they are great! I particularly liked the "Audrey" model, a cedar topped Selmer copy, they have great tone and volume and they are more affordable than other european instruments of comparable quality.
    For under 2K you can get a Dupont Nomade, I have an early one which has a Sitka top and walnut back and sides (I believe them to be solid) and I love it, Michael just got one of the new ones with european spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides, I tried one of these last summer and it sounded almost like an MD 50
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... -2009.html
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Here's Geronimo's Web site:
    http://www.geronimomateos.com/

The Audrey is not shown, nor is the new Model B - the site hasn't been updated in a while. If you send an e-mail, his charming wife Emilie will respond.

I understand that the prices may be negotiable, although they are quite good to begin with.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    Thanks for the link. I sent an e-mail a few days ago, and I haven't heard anything back. Does his wife speak English? I sent my e-mail in Spanish, but my language skills are fairly limited.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yes, she's French but speaks English quite well, or at least writes well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I had a Mateos 4 or 5 yrs ago, which I bought new from ****. It was a great sounding Selmer copy; it had a somewhat traditional tone, great volume, and a deep bass end. It played great.

Charlie
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    A friend of mine still has his '06 Mateos that is bright, loud, good sound, balance and bass. Josh Hegg and I both played it new before it was sold to my buddy. About a year or more back, I asked Josh if any newer Mateos had come thru him in his position as luthier for Djangobooks.com and he told me Two: The sound was not as good as the '06 model. Hope this info helps.
    .....Rocky