DjangoBooks.com

New (and first) gypsy guitar

HennoxLaneHennoxLane Leuven, BelgiumNew
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to think it's about time to buy myself a nice gypsy guitar, since up until now I've only been practicing on my simon&patrick folk guitar. Obviously, not the best choice for gypsy jazz...

So well, I've got between 500 and 1000 euros to spend, but not knowing any place in Belgium where I could try out some guitars, I see myself getting a bit lost in all the different models. I don't want to end up buying a crappy guitar, just because I didn't get the chance to try out different ones. Really, no one does, right? :)

Thus I turn to you guys... Have you got any suggestions as to
- where I might find myself a gypsy guitar dealer in Belgium (all the stores I know have like.. 1 guitar in stock or something.. It's silly :) )
- what model I should be looking for, in that price range
- petit bouche or D-hole? (I intend to play mostly lead and solo guitar pieces like the improvisations etc. But then again I play rhythm also sometimes... :? )

thanx in advance!

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    I've sent you a PM with my opinion, such as it is. Briefly, I'd say continue with your present guitar (you are doing well). Be patient, and definitely try before you buy. The difference in tonal quality between an entry level model, and better hand crafted models is immense.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Palm guitars is in Amsterdam, should be a short train ride away from Belgium.
    http://www.palmguitars.nl/page.php?cat_id=16
    They have decent stock on gypsy guitars.
    Best,
  • HennoxLaneHennoxLane Leuven, BelgiumNew
    went to palm guitars, came back with a fine piece! I've made a topic about it in this section, check it out if you're interested :)