DjangoBooks.com

Dell'Arte Dark Eyes in Chicago (Sold)

edited March 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 4,730
Hi,
this is really a plug for Hogeye Music in Evanston, Chicago area.
I hope that would be OK to post here, let me know if otherwise.
Jim of Hogeye has this brand new guitar with a price of $2010.
I think that is a great deal so I asked him if he'd be OK with me posting here to point anybody interested in buying his way. He said yes so if you're interested call
(847)475-0260 and look for Jim

I don't know much details besides obvious but I'll answer what I know.
BTW Jim is a master repair man and IMO at the very top of his craft. Plus he's a pleasure to talk to, has a very patient and calming personality.

Thanks for looking
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Thanks a lot for that, good to know there's someone in the Midwest I can trust.
    yeah too bad he's not doing electrics too, but as he put it "I'm just a carpenter".
    This is my first post here on the forum. I've been listening to gypsy jazz since I was a child in 70's but have never learned to play this style of music. Many years fingerpicking country blues and some slide on my squarenecks but (believe it or not), no serious background in rhythmn guitar.

Well, the other week I began searching for a nice handmade gypsy jazz guitar and figured I'd buy a used one in my price range. What a surprise when I found this site, looked through the archives of older posts, and learned that Hogeye Music in nearby Evanston had just the ticket! I'm surprised it was still there at only 2010 bucks. I currently live in the Chicago burbs and have known Jim (the owner of Hogeye) for years but never really checked out his stock of guitars.

Many thanks for posting this info!!! I'm the happy new owner of a brand new Dark Eyes. I greatly look forward to participating here on the forum.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Welcome, steam-powered! There's a great gypsy jazz scene in Chicago -- at least eight bands I can think of off the top of my head. (Each Thursday in April is going to feature a different gypsy jazz band at the Charleston in Bucktown.) One time I wrote down a list of all the gypsy jazz guitar players and came up with more than 30 people. Time to add you to that list. :-)

Alfonso Ponticelli teaches a gypsy jazz guitar class at the Old Town School of Folk Music up on the northwest side. Definitely worth taking.

Congrats on the new guitar,
    Adrian
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    Adrian-

Please add me to the list. I was not aware of that many bands in Chicago - could you post or send a list?

Thanks

Greg
    Yes, please post some links if you have any. Those of us in the Chicago area should meet up. I work until eight on Thursdays but I'm pretty close to Bucktown. I did a web search but the bar's website has no current info.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey, I've created a fresh thread for us Chicago folks, so as not to move this too far off-topic:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7630

It includes a link to a new page I've made with a lot of information about the Chicago gypsy jazz scene.

Adrian
  • edited March 2010 Posts: 46
    guitar is sold, its been there for 6 yrs....and sold last week, I guess it was not meant to be. I wish I had read this earlier, but I'm sure the other guy is really happy.

Heartbroken...Chicago may have a scene, but I 'm not sure how....because they don"t have any guitars. Looking real hard right now, and it is tough pulling the trigger on the unseen.
    as a wise man once said "shut up and play yer guitar"!

Frank Zappa
    I stopped by Jim's place the other day to pick up strings and learned that guitar has sold.
    Didn't really think that this post contributed but then came here to update the thread and learned to my delight that that's what did it! So awesome! I'm sure Jim didn't make much on the sale at this price but one person is happy with their new guitar and he did sell it after all.
    Networking is a cool thing.
    I'm taking Alfonso's class currently. Please sign up Chicagoans, the class would be so much better if more people with true interest towards GJ would come.
    B
    Buco wrote:
    I stopped by Jim's place the other day to pick up strings and learned that guitar has sold.
    Didn't really think that this post contributed but then came here to update the thread and learned to my delight that that's what did it! So awesome! I'm sure Jim didn't make much on the sale at this price but one person is happy with their new guitar and he did sell it after all.
    Networking is a cool thing.

Yep, your post here is what drew me into Evanston. And yes, I'm incredibly happy with my new guitar. Learning this style of music is difficult for me, though. I've never played with a pick in my 20 years of playing, and the "thumbed" chords (as opposed to bar chords) is taking some practice. It's like I'm learning to play all over again and I'm LOVING it!!! :D