DjangoBooks.com

what chord voicing Bireli is using here?

beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
edited April 2010 in Technique Posts: 60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbk5Eq8 ... re=related

Django's Tiger... We play this tune all the time, one of my favs... (it goes without saying i do -not- play it as good as Bireli! haha)

His chord subs on this video amaze me, but i am really baffled by what he is using for the Amaj6 in some spots... it seems that Thomas is using it too. You can see Bireli using it right at the start, then again for a few seconds at .25-.29.

I always just play what i think of as a standard A6 which i got outa the mickey baker book eons ago...
2nd finger, 6th string, 5th fret
1st finger, 4th string, 4th fret
4th finger, 3rd string, 6th fret
3rd finger, 2nd string, 5th fret
(i think that is right anyway! hard to do without guitar in hand)

It looks like he is playing something akin to an E7, but i tried some things along those lines and it certainly did not sound right for me.

thanks

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Looks like the gypsy-jazz standard A6/9 shape, 577677:

E string: 5 (thumb)
    A string: 7 (second finger)
    D string: 7 (second finger)
    G string: 6 (first finger)
    B string: 7 (third finger)
    E string: 7 (third finger)

For what it's worth, I've been taught to always use this voicing in this style instead of the 5x465x voicing you pointed out (which is used more in straightahead jazz). The nice thing about the A6/9 voicing is that it gives you the fifth note of the chord, resulting in a more substantial/powerful sound.
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    A-Ha! The thumb... I did not realize it was actually in use there... many thanks... i have a new chord!