DjangoBooks.com

the best and coolest gypsy jazz lick of all time

blah148blah148 New
edited May 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 2
I just made a Django Reinhardt lick lesson on youtube that I was hoping you guys would be able to critique me on. there's a lot of skill on this forum so maybe I could learn something from you

here it is:
YouTube - the best and coolest gypsy jazz lick of all time - django reinhardt lesson

subscribe, rate if you'd be so kind (i'm kind of just getting started doing guitar lessons on youtube)

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Can you provide a link?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKfhWl36_5g

I don't want to be overly critical but it just doesn't sound like a Gypsy phrase - particularly the bends. If you substituted a vibrato for the bends you'd be getting close.

Also, to be pedantic, Django had four fingers.

Alan
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    ...and a thumb of course............
    always learning
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I don't want to be overly critical but it just doesn't sound like a Gypsy phrase - particularly the bends. If you substituted a vibrato for the bends you'd be getting close.

Totally agree. The bends sound like bends you'd hear in an '80s rock band (I think due to the vibrato while the string is being bent). For the half-step bends, I'd recommend not doing any vibrato -- just slowly bend the note, building tension, until you reach the note you're trying to reach.

Adrian
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I don't want to be overly critical but it just doesn't sound like a Gypsy phrase ...
    Not in the least,it is not at all a characteristic Django type of phrase.

And what is probably the single most important point about Django's style is omitted entirely. His soloing was based on arpeggios, as opposed to scalar or pentatonic patterns. It has been very succinctly described as "ornamented arpeggios." This probably resulted from two factors:
    1) It would have been easier for him to play arpeggios in the way he did with his two fully functioning fingers than to play scale-based patterns. The other two crippled fingers were useful only for chording and octaves.
    2) He no doubt was emulating the highly arpeggiated patterns of the accordionists whom he accompanied in his days as a musette banjo player.

Sorry, your intentions are good, but the video is really not helpful in learning Django's style.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Have to admire the title of the video though! Its true, without arpeggios and semi tone bends theres really no way you could capture the gypsy sound THAT faithfully. Watch players like Tchavolo -he's basically a walking talking swing machine.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell