DjangoBooks.com

Looking for top of the range, like a Dupont VR, new or used

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If you're going for a lifetime guitar and spending more than 5K you definitely need to factor in a plane ticket and go to a store or warehouse and try a bunch before buying.
    That's the best advice I can give you.
    PS Duponts are great! I own 2 myself. The best luthier for the classic sound.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    They are ALL good... This is why you need to play them (says the lefty who has never had that opportunity)... Shelly Park, John Levoi, Dupont, Favino, Rob Aylward, Bob Holo. They all (and many more) make great instruments, so picking the one with the character that suits you is what it's about, if you have the luxury of not being restricted by price..

Have fun finding her...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Recently I'm getting very partial to Eimers'... listen to the "new" antique he made for Wawau. That's a dream guitar.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I've got a VR, and have recorded it beside a Busato, a Holo, and others repeatedly. The VR is as good as it gets. They are each amazing and different from each other. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    I don't know if there are duds, but like most of us, I didn't have even two VR's to compare at the time of purchase, but did compare it to Dell Arte's and whatever else was around. It stood out to me, and I wasn't thinking about resale or looks or name value, just sound.

I traded one VR for the other because I like a wider neck. I couldn't hear enough difference between the two I had to make an issue of the difference. They were both good and in the same groove sound wise.

Good Luck with your guitars
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Sent an e-mail regarding this 1974 Favino:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... e-369.html

I bought it from Michael recently. Love it, a fantastic Jacques Favino in surprisingly good condition, with the authentic sound. But in a mad impulse, I overextended myself financially, and I think I really need to get my house back in order more than I need a vintage guitar right now. I have a fine working guitar that is more then enough to meet my current needs. I haven't actually listed it for sale yet, but if anyone else might be interested in it, please send me a PM or email.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • cheopsnetcheopsnet New
    Thank you everybody. And thank you for the email that I did receive about the guitar for sale.

For how much do Dupont VR's go for (what is the typical rate for a new one and what is the typical rate for a used one)? Is it cheaper to order it from France or from a US seller? I travel once in a while to Paris, France, and have family there (the price difference has to justify the purchasing in France, as it is such a hassle to fly with an expensive guitar). Moreover I have had really good experiences with Michael and Djangobooks that I'd rather buy one from him.

Final question, does DjangoBooks have a store in Seattle. I live in San Francisco, CA, and Michael's selection of guitars is quite interesting (especially the Hahls, Duponts and AJLs), and I am thinking about visiting his store at one point to put my hands on this upper crust of instruments, and feel what I like.

As opposed to my electric guitar purchases, I feel that this quest will both be a long fascinating quest and a torturing experience. I have been lucky enough to find extraordinary instruments through my online transactions, instruments that really fit my style of playing and criteria of coolness. But there seems to be a lot of experience I lack to be able to be confident in purchasing a GJ guitar online.

Thanks for all your advice.
  • bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
    I recently purchased a good Gypsy guitar. I drove 350 miles 1 way to play it. I have to play an instrument before buying it. Thats just me. I was toying with having a guitar made. After going over the reality of buying a luthier guitar I realized its just not realistic. I wanted a guitar that was at least playable with a good tone. I wound up buying a Dell Arte Hommage. Its exactly what I expected. A good guitar that I can take to gigs and plays well and sounds good. I was also able to play 20 instruments to pick out the guitar I liked.

Good luck finding your guitar.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    cheopsnet wrote:

Final question, does DjangoBooks have a store in Seattle. I live in San Francisco, CA, and Michael's selection of guitars is quite interesting (especially the Hahls, Duponts and AJLs), and I am thinking about visiting his store at one point to put my hands on this upper crust of instruments, and feel what I like.

Yes, you can come by and play all the guitars we have here. I just sold the VRB I had but another one is on the way.

It will cost you a lot more to get one from France because the customs fees are exorbitant.

'm
  • cheopsnetcheopsnet New
    Thanks Michael, that is what I thought as well. On top of the cost, it will also be a pain to bring it with me as carry-on (and I certainly don't want to have it travel in the luggage compartment). I have no idea when I can get to Seatt;e, but DjangoBooks will be on the top of my list when I get there.

Thanks
    cheopsnet wrote:
    Thanks Michael, that is what I thought as well. On top of the cost, it will also be a pain to bring it with me as carry-on (and I certainly don't want to have it travel in the luggage compartment). I have no idea when I can get to Seatt;e, but DjangoBooks will be on the top of my list when I get there.

Thanks

All the pro's take the best guitars on trips, its gypsy....good luck....great thread...I think this circumstance has been hashed. Be sure to come back and tell us what you got!
    as a wise man once said "shut up and play yer guitar"!

Frank Zappa