DjangoBooks.com

How do I adjust the truss rod on a Cigano?

Alright, so now I have my Cigano GJ-0 and I'm liking it.

It is set up pretty decently. The shop owner said they did not set it up in the store, that it came from the factory that way.

I would like the action to be a little bit higher though. I can whack the strings pretty hard, but would like to be able to play a little harder in some places. Right now the action is about 2.5mm at the 12th fret. Maybe 3mm would be better.

So I thought maybe adjusting the truss rod for a little more neck relief would do the trick. Or is 0.5mm too much for truss rod adjustment?

Does anyone know what size hex key the truss rod is on these guitars? And is it clockwise to tighten, and counter clockwise to add neck relief?

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    Before messing with the truss rod, try put a couple of shims under the bridge...
  • UltraspontaneUltraspontane ✭✭
    About the bridge. There are no shims under the bridge, and the bridge fits the top arch perfectly, so I am happy about that and did not want to compromise that by shimming the bridge. There isn't much relief in the neck the way it is now.
  • IMO you should take it to someone with the technical knowledge and experience to make that assessment

I am not in the shim camp except as a temporary measure however getting expert advice or assistance
    would be the best way to learn IMO.

Are you getting buzzes or why do you want a higher action ,,,,, why do you want to beat on your guitar :shock: :lol: seriously most rhythm guitar is played too loudly IMO and I find that a fast attack gives the same volume as a hard whack without all the accompanying issues. jangly fret noises distortion etc.... the technique rather than brute force approach kinda like :shock: :wink: Depends on what you goals are though so my unasked for advice may not have any relevance.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Truss rod is simply not the way to go to adjust the guitar's action (otherwise Dupont wouldn't produce different height bridges!)
  • UltraspontaneUltraspontane ✭✭
    I loosened the truss rod by a 1/4 turn. That was all it needed. Now it is right where I want it.

I am really liking this guitar now. It has a nice little dry growl to it. It sounds great.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    So the big grin is back at his place! :D