DjangoBooks.com

"Viper's Dream" as Django phrasing exercise

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited September 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,854
Hope other beginner/intermediate players find this a useful exercise.

(More advanced players may be thinking, "WTF?")

Perhaps players lucky enough to live in an environment immersed in GJ :) may take this aspect of the music for granted, because it's just part of the air that they breathe.. but for those of us who are former rock/bluegrass/jazz players, it's a hard thing grip on...

How does Django, even playing a simple 12-bar blues pattern, make his arps and phrases and string bends magically "float"?

As opposed to plodding along tediously like, well, okay, mine. :(

Listening carefully to the attached clips, I'm thinking that Django's use of little rests between phrases is a big key...?

Good luck and enjoy!

Will Wilson
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON

PS I gotta say, nobody has given me any feedback on any of my previous postings in this vein, and these little sound clips are a fair amount of work to create and upload.... So if anyone actually finds this useful, please say so, otherwise this'll probably be the last time I cast any more of my pearls here before ye.... just sayin'.
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• They don't show on a Mac for one thing.

The music isn't found in the notes ...... it's found in the spaces between the notes. :wink:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    They don't show on a Mac for one thing.

Hmmm.... that's odd, because guess what? I'm a Mac user too...

In order for Djangobooks forum to accept these little sound clips attachments, I had to switch browsers, using "Firefox" instead of my usual "Safari"... perhaps that would work for you, too?
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    The music isn't found in the notes ...... it's found in the spaces between the notes. :wink:

Amen, brother...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    I definitely appreciate these! I'm slow to work through them, but they are great.

Many thanks!
    You are very welcome, and indeed, thank you sir, for restoring my faith in my fellow GJ-ers...

• I get the Safari can't display box and where you have put your inserts a little blue box :o

So I guess I will have to think about Firefox :oops: :roll: :?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    What the hell, at least it's free...

www.mozilla.com/products/download.html

Since I'm sick in bed right now, I've had some time to modify this in a way which I hope will make it ever user-friendlier.

I've broken the solo down into little one- or two-bar bits which can be looped endlessly while you attempt to play along note for note... just use keyboard shortcut command-L or choose "Loop" from the QuickTime menu. Chorus 1 phrase 2 took me a good 15 minutes to nail, but by golly, I think I 've got it down.

Luckily, this solo is only 24 bars long, so it wasn't too long a process.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Will

Sorry, my previous post missed one sound clip...

I wasn't aware when I started at the bottom of the list and worked my way up to the top that there would be a limit of ten attachments!

Will

• aminfidelaminfidel houston, txNew
    good work. thanks. keep it up.
    dave
  • thanassisthanassis ukNew
    thank you!
    great idea - You've started me thinking on how to do this for every lick django ever recorded and to integrate to djangopedia.