DjangoBooks.com

How the @#$%! did Django play this with 2 fingers?

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Wow, thanks, man... I'd forgotten about that lick in Gypsy Fire!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    No problem man. Always happy to help
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey guys,

I've posted this particular lick to Soundslice, my new guitar transcription tool. This lets you hear the lick in its original Django recording, along with tab that lights up as the notes are played. You can slow it down without changing the pitch by using the horizontal bar thing on the left.

Here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/25376de

One interesting thing I noticed when transcribing this is that Django starts on fret 16, not fret 17 as previously described. It sounds good either way, but I'm pointing that out for the truly obsessed Django fans. :D Also, he starts the lick by playing the first note twice.

Hope this helps,
    Adrian
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    wow that thing is so cool. seeing the tab and hearing django play it rather than some midi. Can you give us some details about it?
    Yeah, that is fan-fucking-tastic, Adrian.

What if you and Michael Horowitz and Andreas Oberg were to get together on this and offer Soundslice files to match some of the instructional books sold here, like Gypsy Picking and Gypsy Fire etc?

I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra fee to have those files in Soundslice format so I could try to build up my speed gradually on some of those faster licks...

Michael? Andreas? Adrian? what do you think? ....seems like a win-win proposition to me...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Nice program Adrian, good way to learn
    Adrian, if you will allow a little constructive criticism of your excellent software... one extra feature that I would find especially desirable would be a menu where you could set up a gradual automatic increase in playback speed, say start at half-speed and gradually work your way up to full speed by a predetermined rate of increase, like 1 beat per minute or whatever the user chooses... but the nice thing would be if you didn't have to stop playing and type in the desired increase, but just arrange for the computer to do it automatically so you don't have to stop playing each time to reset the tempo...would that be asking too much?

Will

• BonesBones Moderator
    Adrian,

Where did you get that software (Soundslice)?

Thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Where did you get that software (Soundslice)?

Hi Bones,

I created it! My day job is doing computer programming making Web sites, and I've been working on this tool for a while. It's still in its early stages, but it's getting to the point where I'm ready to share parts of it with people.

Adrian
    Adrian, if you will allow a little constructive criticism of your excellent software... one extra feature that I would find especially desirable would be a menu where you could set up a gradual automatic increase in playback speed, say start at half-speed and gradually work your way up to full speed by a predetermined rate of increase, like 1 beat per minute or whatever the user chooses... but the nice thing would be if you didn't have to stop playing and type in the desired increase, but just arrange for the computer to do it automatically so you don't have to stop playing each time to reset the tempo...would that be asking too much?

Thanks, Lango-Django. That's a good idea. I've been thinking of it more as a transcription tool rather than a practice tool, but your comment has intrigued me. I'll give it some thought...

Adrian