DjangoBooks.com

Tears chord question

El GoodoEl Goodo New
edited May 2011 in Unaccompanied Django Posts: 3
Hi everybody, I've been a longtime lurker, first time poster.
This place has been an incredible resource, so thanks to all.

I have a question/confirmation about Tears:
A friend and I have been having a debate about the descending chord sequence in the last part of the B section of Tears (the part that starts with the E and D diminished triads), I was hoping you all could help settle this.

My friend insists that he hears a Dm7 2nd inversion chord in the 6th position instead of the F5 that's in Michael's transcription (where it goes from the Gm up to the FM then to the F5). I disagree, I don't hear that at all, and I think the transcription is correct. He insists he hears a d note in that chord. I don't hear it.

Anyone else hear what he's talking about?

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I'd have to check the recording to hear it and be sure... but it could be the open 4th string ringing (sympathetically) along with the other notes... I'll try to check it later
    I do hear an A on the bottom, clearly, and I do hear that D note... But not as strong as the others.
    The bass just played an F and we're coming from C F A... After that Michael notated C F C (F5).
    What I hear is A (D) F C.

I don't hear that C in the middle only the one on the top.

Taking into account that A C F C would have been too difficult or impossible for Django to finger in that position and it definitely sounds major so the A note has to be in there (I might be going crazy but I distinctly hear that A on the bottom)
    I think A (D) F C is the one on the recording.
    My guess is that he's fretting the A and D notes with the same finger (Middle finger, one-finger-double-stop) so the D might be ringing sympathetically. I don't hear it being articulated as clearly as the other notes, but I do hear it, especially on the slow version of the sound clip.

Here are the sound clips.
    Just the chord in question slowed down:

Including the previous chord
    Normal:
    Slow:[
    judge for yourself.
  • El GoodoEl Goodo New
    Yep, I hear it too now, both the A and the D.
    I agree that A D F C is the one on the recording. It sounds like he just didn't quite get the whole chord he was going for there - is it me or does it sound like the A note cuts off right after the chord is struck?
    It just kinda goes plunk, then you hear the open 5th string like maybe his finger slid off the 4th string and accidentally brushed it.

Interesting, I never noticed that before.
    Thanks for the mp3s, that helped a lot.
    El Goodo wrote:
    It sounds like he just didn't quite get the whole chord he was going for there -
    Yes, that's my guess too
    is it me or does it sound like the A note cuts off right after the chord is struck? It just kinda goes plunk, then you hear the open 5th string like maybe his finger slid off the 4th string and accidentally brushed it.
    Yeah the notes that really stick out are the top F and C. I think that plunk might be the double bass...

It's funny, even now I hear different things at different times... Like if I play that D along with the recording I can really hear it in Django's guitar but if I don't have that note in my mind it's hard to make it out.
    This kind of stuff can be misleading sometimes. Often you're never completely sure if some sounds aren't just a by-product of others (like harmonics produced by the bass notes) plus working with old recordings makes it even harder.

I'm always happy to help. Sorry if this means you just lost a bet :D
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Yep, I think Django was able to play that Dm7 chord, he could play some pretty tough ones if he had to...I hear the same voicing BB Harry hears... string 4= A,string 3= D, string 2=F,string 1= C.

Will
    Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON
    Canada
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Okay, now I'm really curious. Parish4512, you've posted a lot in the past couple days, often reviving old topics without adding much actual information. But your posts do contain ads at the bottom for search optimization. So I'm wondering, at the risk of offending... are you legit?
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Its a bot thickpick, no offense possible. Call it anything you want. It just repeats something that somebody else says in the thread and puts ads on the end, in this case Blues Bop Harry.
    thickpick wrote:
    Okay, now I'm really curious. Parish4512, you've posted a lot in the past couple days, often reviving old topics without adding much actual information. But your posts do contain ads at the bottom for search optimization. So I'm wondering, at the risk of offending... are you legit?

His posts are just copied and pasted parts of other people's replies--definitely spam.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Thanks! His comments are so close to being human, yet oddly unhuman. Which means the day that the computers become sentient and take over the world is still at least a week away! Good news.