DjangoBooks.com

Problem with gitane dg 255 ?

i have a new gitane dg 255 but when i play a little loud on E and A strings i hear
a bad sound like "tr-tr-tr-tr ".I still hear it on open E too ,its sound like it touches the firs fret
,i tried to set up the guitar with the allen key to loose the wood
to make the string a little higher ,i turned the bridge with the higher side up but nothing
it was getting a little better but still annoying.
Any advice?I am new with this guitar ,does it seem a problematic guitar ?
What can i do

sorry for my bad English

thanks

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you need to put a shim (hard wood) under the bass side of the bridge to get the buzz out, not adjust the truss rod. You do that if the neck is curved the wrong way.
  • you think that will damage the truss rod?
    is this normal for the guitar to do this buzz so early
    ok
    i ll try this and i will post back
  • it sound better

what is the best height for the shim?
    is this something specific ?
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    The shim would be high enough to remove the buzz but trying not to have it so high that it is hard to play. Too much tightening of truss rod could make it harder to play in some areas. The possibility of snapping would be if taken to an extreme. Acoustics are not built that exactly and setup can vary with manufacturer.
  • i haven't seen in any video any of those shim,
    is it normal for a new guitar when you play a little loud the E end A to hear that (tr-tr-tr-tr) buzz ?
    should i return the guitar back to the store ?
  • seanrayseanray Madison, WI✭✭
    Sounds like you may have some uneven frets or maybe just one that's causing the problem. In extreme cases you can usually see which fret is sticking up a little farther than the rest.

The neck my need a bit of relief (turn truss rod counter-clockwise) or you may have a bit of a "14 fret hump". Where the neck meets the body is a typical place for a bit of a bump but this isn't usually too pronounced on a new guitar.

If you have the luxury of taking it back to have it checked out then I definitely would.
  • i finally took the guitar to the shop.
    today the service called me and said the Truss Rod was like an arrow so they made some Adjustments to The Truss Rod and the guitar has no problem now.
    they told me the frets may need some stoning too.

are all these normal for 1 week guitar?
    if i took this guitar i may have the same problem in the near feature ?
    may i spent a little more to go to dg 300 because the dont have the same model?
  • anyone ?
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Swingvagabond
    Everyone will have difficulties with buzz. All guitars change with the weather. It's just the nature of wood and has affected all of us at some time. Ask your friends who will do the "stoning" if you need to regulate the humidity in the air where you live. As someone else said: Don't try to adjust the string height with the truss rod. That's not what it is for and though it might work a little, doing this will change the curve of your neck. That is what the rod is for.

Yes even new guitars may need a little or a lot of care. Old guitars too. They are just pieces of wood!
    Maybe it was in a hot or dry or wet room for months after in was built and before it was sold.
    Jeff
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    i finally took the guitar to the shop.
    today the service called me and said the Truss Rod was like an arrow so they made some Adjustments to The Truss Rod and the guitar has no problem now.
    they told me the frets may need some stoning too.

are all these normal for 1 week guitar?
    if i took this guitar i may have the same problem in the near feature ?
    may i spent a little more to go to dg 300 because the dont have the same model?

Hi...swingv...This is normal...this guitar comes flying out of the shop and needs set up almost always...even on this site when djangobooks sells you one they have a setup they would like to sell you also...Just to let you know, I have one of these laying around...and it needed the frets leveled, the bridge adjusted for intonation and of course the trust rod was adjusted for relief.it sounds great now..also i took the tuners apart and cleaned them up, but i would advise u upgrade to the 300 type deluxe tuners...Just to let you know about the jorgenson 300, I had one of those 3 or 4 years ago and I dont know how much they have changed but that guitar didnt play much better...I also will add that my action on the 255 was very high and had to be brought down..it didn't need to be that high especially for someone playing a student instrument or introduction model. but don't bring it down to low.

Just to add I have a jazz box I paid 5000 for and it needed some setup. I've yet to own a guitar that didn't need some care.

One last thing....put Argentine strings on that guitar..there is such a huge difference from the gitane strings.........It is not even close. that is my opinion.
    as a wise man once said "shut up and play yer guitar"!

Frank Zappa