DjangoBooks.com

Django's recorded output = how many megabytes?

Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
edited September 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 93
I'm sure that someone else has already done this, but I'm planning to transfer the entire Integrale Django series (20 vols -> 40 CDs) onto a portable mp3 player (that I have yet to purchase).
But before I go out and buy an iPod or other type of mp3 player I'd like to know how many megabytes are needed to store 40 CDs worth of tunes.
Anyone know the answer?
Thanks in advance.

- Tom

Comments

• langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

To rip the entire Integrale set (20 volumes) using Apple Lossless compression requires 6.14 GB.

I have a 40 gig Ipod and have the entire integrale set plus a huge number of other cds (my ipod is in the car so I don't have the exact number but maybe 100+) all ripped in Apple lossless.

If your not familiar with lossless compression it means that you are listening to the EXACT CD with no bits missing but it uses a lot more space. It generally cuts a CD down to about half size.

If you rip at MP3 rates your mileage will double or quadruple.

troy
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i think my mp3 set (ripped at 128KBs) takes around the 2GB in size.

if you rip them at 64KBs (using CDEX.exe) then you could probably get them down to a Gig (or somewhere near there)
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Unless you really need to save money, I wouldn't reccommend going below 128 kb. I use 192 KB just to prevent errors, although I couldn't really say whether it makes much difference or not.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    yeah, your right... its good to record them at as high a bit rate as you can afford. i used to stream MP3 files with Shoutcast and downsample them to 16KB/s and they sounded ok at 16 but the difference is noticeable...