DjangoBooks.com

How the @#$%! did Django play this with 2 fingers?

13»

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    There it is! The 'White Room' lick!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Adrian,

Wow, nice work. I'd like to give it a test drive.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Ok, I finally figured that fast-triplets-in-the-high-register "Rose Room" lick out, the one that prompted this whole thread... unbelievably enough, I can play it at 100% speed and keep right up with Django---!!!

It [i]is[/i] sweep picking like I had originally thought... and for some odd reason it only works for me if I start with an [b]upstroke[/b] on that very first note...

(I doubt that that's what Django did, but it works for me!)

G9:

---17--13-----------------13---------17-----13------------------------13--------
    ------------15---------15----------------------------15-----------15--------------
    -----------------16-----------------------------------------16---------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C13:

----17---12------------------------12---------17---------
    -----------------15-----------15---------------------------
    ------------------------15-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------

You have to really stretch your middle finger out to get those Bb and D notes at fret 15 on the C13 chord, but it kinda makes you feel Django-ish all over when you hit it just right.

I truly believe that Django did use his third finger to play those high A notes, because you don't have to really move it, just keep it hovered above the 17th fret, ready to slam down when needed...

Hope this fingering works for you like it did for me!

Will
    Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."