DjangoBooks.com

Robin Nolan's Gypsy Jazz JumpStart (Online Video Course)

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited October 2010 in Welcome Posts: 6,152

Comments

• You know, this might be considered an innapropriate post, but I think It needs to be said. Robin Nolans products are great, however their cost tends to be double that of the equivalent product. There is no way to justify 47$ on this when you consider the value of things like Dennis Cs dvds... Same goes for his books. I would love many of his products, I just can justify the price. I cant help but think that he might make more money by lowering his prices in exchange for greater sales.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, it's true that Robin's material, along with just about everything else related to Gypsy jazz, is more expensive than similar material for other styles. But it's really all economies of scale, this market is just a fraction of the size of other genres like archtop jazz, bluegrass, rock, etc. A good jazz guitar instructional book can sell over 50,000 copies...you're lucky to sell 1,000 copies of a GYPSY jazz instruction book. So that's why prices are higher for this material as the labor and expenses have to be recouped with far fewer sales.

But at least you can take solace in that fact that these methods even exist. When I started to try to play this music in the 80s there was NOTHING! I had to go to Europe for a year to learn it...add all the costs of that up and you could buy every book in the store and still save thousands!

Even as little as 8 years ago there were very few resources...it's really exploded since then and it's now possible to learn this style even if you live in a cabin in the Yukon! :D
  • Yes I understand that but compare
    Pearl Django Play-Along Songbook Vol.1 30$
    to
    Robin Nolan Gypsy Jazz Songbook and Play Along CD Volume 1 60$

There is a discrepency between his products and the rest of the GJ catalogue. Also, can you really compare being immersed in the style in europe to reading a book? Wow that must of been such a memorable time of your life.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes I understand that but compare
    Pearl Django Play-Along Songbook Vol.1 30$
    to
    Robin Nolan Gypsy Jazz Songbook and Play Along CD Volume 1 60$

There is a discrepency between his products and the rest of the GJ catalogue. Also, can you really compare being immersed in the style in europe to reading a book? Wow that must of been such a memorable time of your life.

A lot of that is because of the Euro/dollar exchange rate. Anything from Europe is going to cost more...many of the other books from Europe are also a lot more $ than US equivalents.