DjangoBooks.com

Krivo Magnetic Gypsy Jazz Guitar pickup "Stimer" type

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    Hi! just a quick question: what´s the main difference between the three krivos? and, subsequently, what are adjustable poles on a pickup? i´m thinking of buying a pickup for my GJ guitar but i´ve only played acoustic until now, the only thing i know about pickups is that ones are single coil and others are humbuckers. are there any advantages of the adjustable model?
    thanks!

Miguel.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Miguel,

Adjustable poles allow you to adjust the response for each individual string. Sometimes a certain string will be louder or quieter than others so the adjustable pole pieces allow you to fix that.

Michael
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    OK, that seems useful. BTW, would you suggest some (not very expensive) amp to go with the krivo?
    Thanks,
    Miguel.

(sorry if i´m derailing the topic, feel free to delete this post)
    Depends how much to spend....among the least expensive options I like:

Phil Jones PURE SOUND CUB AG-100 with Gig Bag

Phil Jones PURE
    SOUND CUB AG-100 with Gig Bag

ZT Amplifiers THE LUNCHBOX

ZT Amplifiers THE LUNCHBOX

The Phil Jones sounds amazing for it's size....the Lunchbox isn't as nice but is half the price and still does OK. Both are ultra light weight! PJ is 11lbs and the ZT is 9 lbs!

'm
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    thanks Michael!
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    sorry for another post, but it has to be said: your prices are fantastic!
    thanks, I like to give people a good deal! :D
  • jflojazzjflojazz Portland OregonNew
    Hi there! to answer your question,
    The Single coil is a more traditional "Stimer" type thick juicy darker colored sound
    and because it is a single coil it has a bit of low level noise ( as do all single coils) many players who want that old school sound feel the noise is worth the trade off and it is masked by the music.

The Humbuckers are more crisp and transparent but also with a bit of thickness especially the ajdustable pole model which is the best of the Bunch in my opinion and a perfect blend between
    tones, the Humbuckers are Dead quiet , and handle EQ really well. the flat top humbucker uses the same guts as the Adjustable pole but the balance is fixed, I am actually not making those right now as I feel the adjustable poles are superior due to their adjustability. though the flat tops look way cool, they are taller in profile though and dont fit as many modern guitars.

let me know if you have any more questions
    Jason Krivo Flores
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    thanks jason for your input. i´m currently in the process of collecting funds to order a krivo pickup and a small practice amp to go along with it, so i appreciate it. just one question, though: if i understood correctly, the adjustable pole pickup is the slimmer of the bunch, i.e., the one that fits in a broader group of guitars, right?

thanks,
    Miguel.
  • TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    From the pictures posted, there doesn't seem to be any volume control knob. Is there a model with a volume control on the pickup itself?

I am intrigued though, I love the stimer + tube amp sound, but hate playing with non-argentine strings.