DjangoBooks.com

Nylon Strings On Gitane dg- 350?

Hey Guys, its been a while for me.

I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not I can but nylon strings on my Gitane DG -350. I am really interested in the nylon approach to gypsy jazz and I am curious about tensions. So first of all will it damage the guitar? Second are there any strings than can hold at this tension (I have a long scale). If so where do i buy these strings. Any info would be helpful thanks

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    I strung my Dupont D-hole with nylon strings for some specific gigs a few years ago. It worked OK, I guess. These guitars are not designed for nylon strings. I used Daddario folk nylons with ball ends which are far better than similar Labella. I would not think there are any tension or string-breaking issues, these strings seemed a bit loose on my 64cm scale Dupont.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    You dont need to string a gitane with Nylon strings. You can get a pretty decent Nylon string classical guitar for about $100 used, on Craigslist. I played gypsy jazz for 1 year with a guy here in Portland who used a $100 nylon string guitar and I have to tell you, the audience couldnt tell the difference.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    You won't damage a DG3xx series by putting nylon strings on it. Nylon strings have much less tension than steel.

However, as indicated, you might not be thrilled with the sound. Gitane is coming out with the new Lulo Reinhardt DG-560 nylon string model in January. It has a traditional nylon string bridge and probably different bracing for a better nylon string tone and response.

gitane-dg-560-large.jpg
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com