DjangoBooks.com

Video Quecumbar international Gypsy Jazz guitar Festival!

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited January 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 386
Very nice video compilation of last years epic Django festival at Le Quecumbar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OYY-GZVhqk

stu

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Enjoyed the video, thanks
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Golly, gosh, what a venue! I wish I were in London.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hey Stu...great stuff thanks for posting...any chance they'll make a DVD of the "best of" the shows...would love to see some clips of Les Doigts De L'Homme...I saw them behind Sylvia but they weren't playing?

cheers :D

Phil
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Phil wrote:
    Hey Stu...great stuff thanks for posting...any chance they'll make a DVD of the "best of" the shows...would love to see some clips of Les Doigts De L'Homme...I saw them behind Sylvia but they weren't playing?

cheers :D

Phil

Hi Phil
    to be honest i don't know whether there is going to be a DVD---i've just emailed Sylvia about it and will let you know
    Cheers
    Stu
  • quecumbarquecumbar LondonNew
    Hi All from London

Sadly we were not allowed to record David Reinhardt, Adrien and Les Doights

We have about 50 hours of film on HD on two cameras however we need permission form the artists to use this footage and as we had 34 musicians on the Triple cd this could be a problem however we are looking at possibilities to do a double dvd which would be all the tracks approved by the artists that were on all three cds plus full length interviews.

We have posters and programmes left if anybody wants them for sale on our website

The triple cd with over 200 minutes is available for download at linnrecords.com and for sale from my website it is a fantastic souvenir of an amazing 9 night sold out festival held here at the bar - a first for London with 50% of the artist being Gyspies.

I thank them all for their support and great music without them it could not have happened and of course all our sponsors as far away as USA every bit helped

Sadly we could not do another festival this year as we could not get the funds or sponsorship and we are still paying for last years festival which is why we need to sell more cds to cover the cost to us.

THIS CD WAS CHOSEN BY THE SUNDAY TIMES CLIVE DAVIS AS ONE OF THE TOP TEN JAZZ ALBUMS OF 2010 quite a feat for a small venue and record label like us we are very happy about that - enjoy the video and the cd if you have it and please spread the link far and wide to keep this stuff alive and these amazing musicians working!
    Outside of Paris, the worlds dedicated gypsy swing venue. We are proud to have the support of our world class musician patrons:

Angelo Debarre John Jorgenson Dave Kelbie
    John Etheridge Lollo Meier Robin Nolan Hank Marvin Andreas Oberg
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    From a personal point of view i'd love to see the Sebastien Ginaux and Adrien sets as i was unable to get to those--not least to also catch the impeccable rhythm guitar of Ducato who did a fantastic job throughout the festival--though mark my words-- Ducato is swiftly turning into a formidable soloist in his own right with a style drawing on the Django of Rome 1949.
    Meanwhile the one and only Herve Gaguenetti arrives in London on Saturday to join Ducato in making up a real 'Rolls Royce' rhythm section behind Gary Potter to celebrate Le Ques 8th Birthday!!
    Stu
  • quecumbarquecumbar LondonNew
    CELEBRATE DJANGO REINHARDTS 101ST

SUNDAY AND MONDAY 23/24 JANUARY £20
    Sunday almost sold out
    DJANGO’S BIRTHDAY GYPSY SWING CELEBRATION
    A first time 5 star line up with a quartet that will bristle with musical excitement! Book early this will be a hot one.
    Starring:
    GARY POTTER,
    AURELIEN BOULY,
    HERVE GAGUENETTI, and
    PETE KUBRYK TOWNSEND

GARY POTTER; Undoubtedly UKs finest Gypsy Swing genius
    (sadly Gary could not join us at the Djangos 100th festival last year so he is back this year to celebrate with us) www.garypottermusic.co.uk
    along with the French Gypsy guitarist and virtuoso soloist
    AURELIEN BOULY; French Gypsy of the European Gypsy band Tarné Spilari a group that perpetuates the Django routes. www.aurelienbouly.com
    HERVE GAGUENETTI; The famous French Gypsy rhythm guitarist from the Ritary Gaguenetti Quartet.
    PETE KUBRYK TOWNSEND; Home grown rockin bass, he does it all swing, jazz and much more, always an entertaining animated bass player.
    With this cracking line up anything could happen – but whatever it is, it will be a fantastic Gypsy Swing weekend one that Django would be proud of with Gypsies and non Gypsies joining to musically celebrate his birth. Tickets from www.quecumbar.co.uk www.wegottickets.com

SUNDAY/MONDAY 30/31 JANUARY 2011 £15
    A QUECUMBAR FIRST!
    Guitars, violin, vocals, rockin bass making a fabulous Gypsy Swing quartet and first time line up headed up by
    ROMANE From Paris and rarely seen in UK joins
    DANIEL JOHN MARTIN
    With home grown, solid rhythm of Ducato Piotrowski on rhythm guitar and Andy Crowdy on bass, who themselves have played with the world’s great Gypsy Swing masters
    Premier performance at Le QuecumBar of the legendary guitarist, composer and guitar teacher; Romane. He joins Paris-based English-born jazz violinist/singer Daniel, who is often seen and heard with Gypsy guitarists Angelo Debarre and Boulou Férré, amongst others. Romane and Daniel will be playing a few of the former’s compositions amongst other great Gypsy standards. All four are stunning performers and these two concerts should be fast best-sellers, so book now! www.myspace.com/djmparis
    Open at 6 when food will be available until 10 all tables allocated on arrival, diners get preferential seating. Tickets from www.quecumbar.co.uk www.wegottickets.com

FEBRUARY GIG LIST

SUNDAY 6 FEBRUARY £10
    Le QuecumBar favourites, they’re hot they swing they tap a truly magical performance. Fine Purveyors of Filthy Swing
    HOT SWINGING GROOVY MAD JAZZ
    World class players
    TOP SHELF JAZZ
    A bargain for an off the wall musical experience! Swing Jazz as it used to be: playing it fast and louche! Delicious echoes of Al Bowlly, The Ink Spots and Fats Waller with a dangerous hint of Gypsy swing rolled into one hot menagerie of crooning, tap dance, old world suave, rakish banter and correspondent shoes. Arthur Foxaque, “The Caustic Crooner” and notorious
    dandy, sings with his genuine 30’s crooning voice, flowing like honey through art deco melodies, creating an atmosphere harking back to prohibition parties and silver screen romances. Tickets in advance www.wegoottickets.com and www.quecumbar.co.uk £13 door

MONDAY 7 FEBRUARY £15
    International Dutch Gypsy guitar master delivers a brilliance of playing hard matched worldwide
    LOLLO MEIER Quartet
    MEMORIES OF DJANGO REINHARDT – THE REAL DEAL
    Lollo was sold out to rapturous audiences at our January 2010 sell out festival. He now returns with his quartet and perfectly replicates the sounds of chic Parisian café society and Django Reinhardt’s 1930s Hot Club Gypsy swing. The dashing, graceful and melodious Dutch Gypsy swing guitar master, LOLLO MEIER delivers virtuoso performances that are a rare and special pleasure for the senses. He is accompanied by Andy Crowdy on bass, Dave Kelbie on rhythm guitar and Andy Aitchison on violin, together they will give you a night of Gypsy Swing sensations ALWAYS SOLD OUT! BOOK EARLY
    Tickets: www.wegottickets.com & www.QuecumBar.co.uk open at 6 food until 8, diners get preferential seating all allocated on arrival.

LE QUECUMBARS 8th BIRTHDAY JAM PARTY AND BUFFET
    THURSDAY 10TH FEBRUARY £15 inc full buffet
    Led by QuecumBar Patrons and International guitar masters
    GARY POTTER & mystery master
    FOR FRIENDS, FANS & MUSICIANS, COME CELEBRATE, AMAZING MUSIC, MOOD, WINE AND FOOD
    (A THANK YOU TO ALL OUR REGULAR JAMMERS - INVITED FREE TO EAT DRINK AND CELEBRATE) FULL BUFFET INCLUDED
    BRING YOUR INSTRUMENT or just come and enjoy the fun with JAMMING THE GYPSY WAY Come celebrate a special night unplugged and off the wall, join the campfire atmosphere along with Le QuecumBars regular and finest musicians. The night’s celebration open Gypsy Swing jam is driven by world class guitar superstars:
    GARY POTTER Gary, well known world wide and UKs top Gypsy Swing, country and Jazz guitar player has personality plus, raconteur and world class guitarist, he swings, he’s hot, he’s here! The nights music will be driven by the animated swinging hot double bass of Pete Kubryk Townsend
    Book early its rammed! www.garypottermusic.co.uk
    Doors open at 6.30 for seating muisc starts at 8.00 Limited tickets in advance www.wegottickets.com or www.quecumbar.co.uk
    Outside of Paris, the worlds dedicated gypsy swing venue. We are proud to have the support of our world class musician patrons:

Angelo Debarre John Jorgenson Dave Kelbie
    John Etheridge Lollo Meier Robin Nolan Hank Marvin Andreas Oberg
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i bought the triple CD specifically for one song... Biel Ballester's Avanti... Absolutely beautiful... the rest of the CD is fantastic but I just had to get it for Biel's tune... he would've sent it to me for free but you gotta support sylvia too!
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    I bought the CD a week ago and haven't listened to anything else since, is great! Really great playing all round. The recordings of Tcha Limberger are sublime, listen to him perform 'I got the right to sing the blues', perfection! Sebastien Giniaux is amazing as usual and recorded really well. Ritary, Stochelo, Paulus.... just get it and see plus the Quecumber needs to sell as many CD's as possible so they can do it all again!