DjangoBooks.com

Are there any gypsy jazz drummers or recordings with ?

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
edited January 2011 in Welcome Posts: 485
Hi

I am trying to work a drummer in for GJ , is anyone aware of any recordings or current GJ groups that use a drummer? I am aware of Tchan Tchou's La Gitane disk but was also looking for other examples.

thanks - Dean

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Not many,
    Philip Nedjar - Shadow of your smile,
    Oscar Aleman uses drums, not strictly GJ though
    Romane - Djangovision and Swing for Ninine
    a few of the multitude of Ferret family recs have drums.

My advice - Get Romane Swing for NInine, really good drum work mixed perfect with rhythm guitar, best example out there i reckon

http://www.emusic.com/album/Romane-Swin ... 77481.html
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    great thanks!
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    John Jorgenson uses a drummer with a very spartan setup. I believe Stephane Wrembel uses a percussionist, but not exactly a drummer in the traditional sense.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    seeirwin wrote:
    John Jorgenson uses a drummer with a very spartan setup. I believe Stephane Wrembel uses a percussionist, but not exactly a drummer in the traditional sense.

Yeah, I would say that David Langlois is the most relevant percussionist in Gypsy Jazz right now. Thats my own opinion of course. I like how he has a eclectic approach to his instrumentation rather than just having a standard kit... I think it fits gypsy jazz better. Still my own opinion.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Latin percussion instruments like congas, bongos, clave, etc. work good with GJ. The recent Romane and Stochello Rosenberg Live at New Morning recordings on TSF Jazz feature Latin percussion on a number of the tunes, very effective.

And yes, David Langois is terrific. His washboard trap set is so cool. For a while, the Wrembel played with just David on percussion and Jared Engle on bass, no rhythm guitar. Worked very well and it gave Wrembel more flexibility to stretch out.

Every now and then we (HCDC) have a drummer sit in with us who plays only a snare w/ brushes. Seems to work very well, gives the rhythm some extra kick, not to mention the fun of a drum solo.

Craig
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    There is a snare and Brushes player on the minor swing quartet (Samy Dausat's band) records.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Moreno's 'Django's club' has a great drummer on it. I dig the sound, so did Django-Thats here the similarity ends.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    The Basily gypsy band uses a cajun box drum with a cymbal.
    Nice sound and not so loud as ordinary drums.Goes well with the rythem guitar.

Noches de amor:

swing 48:

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Latin percussion instruments like congas, bongos, clave, etc. work good with GJ... [snip]

Every now and then we (HCDC) have a drummer sit in with us who plays only a snare w/ brushes. Seems to work very well, gives the rhythm some extra kick [snip]

exactly what I was thinking Craig.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Isn't in "Fleur de Lavende" that Fapy Lafertin recorded also with a drummer ?
    - JG