DjangoBooks.com

Django Reinhardt Minor Swing

edited January 2011 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 4
Hello, this is me playing Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt, i'm 13 and have been playing guitar for 5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xr4GjR-wdw

let me know what you think!

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Fantastic!! Great work!
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi Cameron, I just saw this so I hadn't responded earlier. Great work young man! Good ear picking out Django's solo and overall a very nice feel. Your picking looks good and with more work you'll have the Gypsy picking down pat. In some ways the proper picking technique is the most important part of this music so stick at it until you can do it in your sleep. Learning and understanding Django's sound will put you years ahead of your peers who are focused only on contemporary rock. Keep it buddy!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Hi Cameron,

Wow dude! One of the most important aspects of this music is developing the proper "feel." Many guys never get it no matter how many years they play. Others, like you, get it relatively quickly and then go on to really master all the nuances. You have what it takes to get really good at this style. Looking forward to watching you develop!!!

Have fun on the journey ahead!!!
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Hi Cameron,

Not bad at all!

Therefore you have to learn the proper right hand technique otherwise you won't be able to play Django style

Keep going'!

Michel
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Not bad at all!

I do not agree with Mitch's comment on your right hand, for me "gypsy picking" is only one of the many ways to manage the pick... so don't worry about that!

Best!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote:

I do not agree with Mitch's comment on your right hand, for me "gypsy picking" is only one of the many ways to manage the pick... so don't worry about that!
    Fapy Lafertin says use whatever right hand picking technique best suits you and seems very sceptical about "gypsy picking" in its entireity being as essential as often claimed. Also like many gypsy guitarists, he does not seem believe the music is "gypsy jazz"; the implication being that the term is a Gadjo creation.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i'm not going to get into this debate but i jsut want to say that fapy says a lot of things lol... he'll say that to someone he doesn't really want to have a conversation... but when he gets passionate about it, he's really strict about the picking technique haha.. i spent a bit of time with him, and he was strict about so many things; but I enjoyed it very much , I don't necessarily agree with everything, but I took what I liked and formed my own opinion
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    dennis wrote:
    ..... but I took what I liked and formed my own opinion
    That's what I think we should all do.