DjangoBooks.com

any chance of a Clarinet / saxophone sub-forum here??

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
edited September 2011 in Violin Posts: 599
any chance of a GJ Clarinet and or saxophone sub-forum here?? (alongside the Violin, Mandolin etc) it might not be the busiest, but considering the number of Django recordings with Clarinet and or sax, plus a good few modern GJ guitarists recording & gigging with woodwind guys. I'll happily add a few relevant posts to kick it off.
plus i have some of my own solo transcriptions i could upload.
-Andy-

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    We (Hot Club of DC) very often play with Clarinetists. The quintet with Clarinet, Violin, Guitars and Bass is really a ideal set of musicians. I do often keep a Bb book for those guys.
    I would be very interested to see your clarinet transcriptions.
    - JG
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    We (Hot Club of DC) very often play with Clarinetists. The quintet with Clarinet, Violin, Guitars and Bass is really a ideal set of musicians. I do often keep a Bb book for those guys.
    We do the same. A clarinet adds an interesting character to our 2 guitar/violin/bass quartet, and it creates more variety for our audiences. If you happen to have a few Yiddish songs in your repertoire, the clarinet is perfect. We maintain a Bb book of our charts for just that purpose. Once you've got a software-based chart made up, transposition takes seconds.

For concerts, we will usually add clarinet and a female vocalist, shuffling them in & out. One of our vocalists also plays a bit of accordion - oh, la,la!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Indeed, it sounds great !
    On top of that, we also have a Djangolinist as you know !
    - JG
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    On top of that, we also have a Djangolinist as you know !
    Yes, you do - the little Djangolin went from one Ben to another. I hope all of you are enjoying the little fellow. It's a delightful instrument that needed to be played, and I'm happy that it found a good home.

You also have a wonderful vocalist from time to time. Tell her Ben from Nova Scotia said hello.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    We had a clarinet forum years ago but it was totally dead so I removed it.
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    so is there any chance the Clarinet page might reappear ?
    "build it and they will come " etc ......
  • SteveGypsyJazzSteveGypsyJazz Sherman Oaks✭✭
    And I'm still waiting for the slide-whistle and the 6 string banjo forums also ;-)
    Yeah I'd quite like a clarinet subforum as well, would be great
  • I play soprano sax as well as the guitar. While I would love to have a wind sub-forum I can quite understand that there wouldn't be much traffic. GJ is a pretty esoteric calling and wind instruments playing is even more esoteric.

Perhaps one of the european forums might have a group 8)
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I got a Bb book with lots of gypsy tunes I could share if anyone's interested.
    At some point I even had started one in Eb....
    - JG