DjangoBooks.com

learning Django's and Grapelli's solos- which books?

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 218
hi guys

I have a question. Can you recommend books that contain Django and Stephane Grapelli's solos ? I read on this forum that learning by heart Django solos is very important if one wants to learn gypsy style of playing. Any authors , any titles? Do these books have play along sections so that one can play learnt solo overy harmony?

Comments

• blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    With rock and blues , there are lots of dvd's available that show how songs are played lick by lick, i saw one for Charlie Christian solos also , and wouldn't it be fantastic if someone were to produce one for Django solos . There always seems to be a way to handle copyright issues, or all these other dvd's wouldn't exist. I have some of the GJ dvd's , and i've learned from them, but how cool would an all Django disc be. And it doesnt have to be a big name player, i'm sure there are people here who know several django solos note for note , who also happen to be good teachers. What do you think ?
    shut up and play your guitar
    This might not be an answer you're looking for but I picked up this program called transcribe (I think it was $40) and you can slow down the solo's and figure them out for yourself. I think it helps you internalize them better and understand them better as well, also trains your ear.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    The Stan Ayeroff book does just that...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Matt Glaser's Jazz Violin book has some Grappelli solos. Michael had it on his site for a while, but it's not coming up now if you click on the link:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/site-news/new-book-matt-glaser-jazz-violin/
    If he doesn't have it, it's probably available elsewhere.

Any books I have seen with transcribed Django solos (including, I believe, the Stan Ayeroff book) generally presented the solo in notation form but with no tabs or any other indication of the fingering, so you're on your own there.

I agree with sfishman59:
    sfishman59 wrote:
    This might not be an answer you're looking for but I picked up this program called transcribe (I think it was $40) and you can slow down the solo's and figure them out for yourself. I think it helps you internalize them better and understand them better as well, also trains your ear.

The best way to learn is to listen and work them our for yourself. Slowdown software is invaluable. I like Amazing Slow Downer, but Transcribe is popular as well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    Matt Glaser's Jazz Violin book has some Grappelli solos. Michael had it on his site for a while, but it's not coming up now if you click on the link:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/site-news/new-book-matt-glaser-jazz-violin/
    If he doesn't have it, it's probably available elsewhere.

Any books I have seen with transcribed Django solos (including, I believe, the Stan Ayeroff book) generally presented the solo in notation form but with no tabs or any other indication of the fingering, so you're on your own there.

I agree with sfishman59:
    sfishman59 wrote:

The best way to learn is to listen and work them our for yourself. Slowdown software is invaluable. I like Amazing Slow Downer, but Transcribe is popular as well.

Any links for 'transcribe ' program?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You just have to Google it.

Transcribe: http://www.seventhstring.com/

Amazing Slow Downer: http://www.ronimusic.com/
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles