Django in June 2011 Artists & Staff

Comments

• andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Fixed that link...for now, anyway. Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTh-Bf2eqUU

Thanks again,
    ~Andrew
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Andrew - are any luthiers or sellers going to be attending?
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Andrew - are any luthiers or sellers going to be attending?

Hard to say who will show up at this point. Josh from Caravan Guitars has expressed interest in showing guitars on Wednesday night. (Maybe Michael Bauer will show his vintage axes then, too...but his aren't for sale!)

Rodrigo Shopis usually comes, at least for the weekend, often with a new guitar to show. I think he's building one for Ben Robertson and hoping to deliver it at Camp.

Eric Aceto from Ithaca Stringed Instruments may be there...he often makes it for all or part of the event.

Plus, usually several people come who have guitars of their own for sale--- like me! (I have one for sale now.)

Different builders and vendors have come at different times (Bob Holo, AcousticMusic.org, Bernie Lehmann) so maybe there will be more...I'll keep you updated as I hear from potential attendees and sponsors.

Cheers,
    ~Andrew
    Sounds good - I'm going to be looking to pick something up. May just show up and attend with a flattop - I can take the jokes! :D Such a wonderful opportunity to play different guitars and find what I like. I'm hesitant to purchase sight unseen at the price point quality instruments demand.
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Sounds good - I'm going to be looking to pick something up. May just show up and attend with a flattop.

That's what I always suggest people do if they haven't already invested in a Selmac. It's a great (and rare) way to get an education in that style of instrument. Buy after you try!

~A
    Andrew, please have Olivier and the guys bring CDs with them to sell - and any other Swag :D. I can't find any of their albums here stateside other than the Dans La Prise album. Much appreciated.
    Looks like they are playing June 14th?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    andoatagn wrote:

Rodrigo Shopis usually comes, at least for the weekend, often with a new guitar to show. I think he's building one for Ben Robertson and hoping to deliver it at Camp.
    I can confirm that. Rodrigo is building me a Selmer-sized D hole as a companion to my big Shopis D'Artagnan Favino-style oval hole. The oval hole was a huge hit at last year's DiJ, and I will probably bring it again, so if any of you want to try out one of Rodrigo's fabulous guitars, look me up. He is right up there with the biggest names in the world, IMHO, and a terrific guy as well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    I'm not feeling the flattop a buddy is letting me borrow. The string tension just feels too high, the guitar is uncomfortable to play, doesn't sound good with this type of music and picking/strumming style. My Gretsch on the other hand is quite the opposite.

So...Anybody ever show up to a GJ meetup with an Eletric Hollowbody? :lol:
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Yes. More than once. And no one will mind a bit.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    So...Anybody ever show up to a GJ meetup with an Eletric Hollowbody? :lol:
    Yes. More than once. And no one will mind a bit.

HotTin:
    What you have to understand is that Michael Bauer also shows up with single malt Scotch. As long as he brings that, he can play a baseball bat and no one will care. :-)

But seriously folks...I often play an L5 at these things, but acoustic. The issue with most hollowbodies is that they have no volume without amplification. Apart from that it's a non issue. Django in June will be a great opportunity for you to check out guitars before you make a big investment. You also may have the option of renting a GJ axe from Downtown Sounds in Northampton just for the event. They're on the web...give 'em a call.

~Andrew