DjangoBooks.com

Want to buy: Cheap D Hole Guitar (Under $300)

lukehilllukehill Austin, TX✭✭ Gallato
edited June 2011 in Classifieds Posts: 17
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an inexpensive D hole guitar. I already have a petite bouche Gallato as my primary instrument, and I'm very happy with it, but I just found out I'm going to be spending a total of about 4 months in India later this year.

I can't imagine not having a guitar to play over there, but there's no way I'm taking the Gallato, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to pick up a cheap D hole (I've always wanted one) just to have something to play while I'm there. I don't have much to spend - I'd like to keep it as close to $200 as possible, but don't want to get a complete piece of junk (I know, I know, what do you expect for so little money...) I've seen the GJ-5 and GJ-15 here on the site and they both seem like a good bang for the buck, but as they're just a bit more than I was hoping to spend (especially with shipping), I wanted to check and see if anyone had something similar but used they'd be interested in selling. If so, send me a message and let me know...

Thanks,
Luke

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    This is the cheapest D hole I know:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/OZARK-MACCAFERRI-STY ... 0709054236

Never seen or tried one: some say it's pure shit and yet had a good review in the French magazine "Acoustic Guitarist "
  • lukehilllukehill Austin, TX✭✭ Gallato
    Thanks for the link - I'd never even heard of those...

Unfortunately that seller doesn't ship to the U.S. (I'm located in Texas), but it gives me yet another search term to aim for...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    There's a Gitane D500 on eBay right now with a starting price of $300 and no bids so far. It's liable to go up, but if you could get it at that price, it would probably be better than anything else you are going to find in the under $300 range.

http://tinyurl.com/6xef8zf

There are some <$300 GJ guitars listed, none of them D holes, none of them have names I've ever heard of, but you're not going to find much in the way of well-known names in that price range.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I'm noticing a raising interest for D Holes... some years ago it was Oval Holes all the way!
    Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on that D500... if I can get it for $300 I'll definitely take it, but I'm not holding my breath... keeping my fingers crossed, though...

If I don't get it, it sounds like I'd be better off either saving a little more (if I can do it before I leave the country) or locating one of the Ciganos used (which also seems like a long shot).

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep my fingers crossed (and my ebay page up!)

As far as the D-hole popularity goes, Bireli's is the only 'nice' one I've ever had an opportunity to play. That was a few years back & I've been lusting after them ever since! :D

Luke
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    frater wrote:
    I'm noticing a raising interest for D Holes... some years ago it was Oval Holes all the way!
    frater, I suspect a lot of the recent interest in D holes was sparked by the growing number of long scale models being built, in response to players' demands. The grand bouche looks really cool, and the 14 fret access and increased bite of the long scale guitars is a lot more appealing to many. Of course, Favino, Castelluccia, and others were building long scale D holes decades ago, but it took a while for the modern builders to move in that direction. Now almost everyone is making them, and a few will even produce one with the internal soundbox as a special order.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    A little eBay advice -- if you think you want that guitar, place a bid now. Even if it's just at the minimum. For some reason, a lot of people won't bid on an item that someone else has already bid on.
    Thanks for the advice - I was thinking of waiting until the last second so it wouldn't get bid up, but I think I'll give it a try...
    lukehill wrote:
    Thanks for the advice - I was thinking of waiting until the last second so it wouldn't get bid up, but I think I'll give it a try...
    The last second is when it always gets bid up, if it's going to be. At least if you get in there first, no one else will be able to bid $300 for it. Good luck!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    I usually go with a combo strategy - get the first bid in, then wait until the last minute for any further bids. Good luck!