DjangoBooks.com

Buying guitar in China?

A friend to a friend is spending some time in Beijing and there are a few guitars made in China, like Gitane and Latcho Drom.

I was wondering if it’s possible to buy these guitars directly from the makers or shops in Beijing or some other place in China.

I would mainly be interested in a Latcho Drom or some other guitar made in the same factory.

Best regards.

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I hear that Altimuras are Latcho Droms with a different sticker on the headstock. Doug Martin (Gitpicker here on Djangobooks) would really have the inside track on buying guitars in China. Drop him a line.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Not sure about that: I have played many Altamiras and they don't look at all like the Latcho Drom although they play and sound REAL good (particularly the solid mahogany model)
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    At the NAMM show this year, all of the Altamiras at the booth were indistinguishable from my Latcho Drom. I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually the same guitar. Great sound and a cool neck profile if you can get used to it.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    The first Latcho Drom batch had a competely different shape, nothing like the Altamiras I tried... but now the shape has changed so it is quite possible they come out from the same factory.
  • murillomurillo ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I could not find Doug Martin in users, but i send a mail to dougmartinguitar.com hope it´s the same guy. :D

Best regards
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    He's gitpicker
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that in China there are certain areas set aside for manufacturing of specific products. I saw a doc on TV a while back showing an "art village" which looked like a bunch of factories in a town all set up to do fake art and ceramic reproductions. Thousands of workers sitting in front of easles knocking out handpainted oil reproductions of the masters. I also think there's a region or province set up to focus on the manufacture of swimming pool products (I know this thru my work). It wouldn't surpise me if it's not the same for guitars and other industries. Eastman, Saga, Gitane, Cigano, the Asian Dell Arte, Music Link brands, Loars, Fender, Epiphone, Aria, Ibanez, etc... all getting OEM work done from a small group of factories in a specific region or province. I imagine with the complicated distribution arrangements around the world, it's probably cheeper to just buy them thru local sources. I was suprised when I visited Hawaii a few years ago that the uke prices weren't any better than on the mainland. Michael's prices and selection seem to be about the best. Occasionally Gitanes or Ciganos pop up on the local Craig's List, but haven't spotted any super deals. My 2 cents.
    Swang on,