DjangoBooks.com

Les Doigts de l'Homme LIVE at Django in June!

Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
edited July 2011 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 589
Here's a video that Angelo Roldan shot during LDDLH's live show at Django in June 2011. Check it out all -- LDDLH playing Improvisation No. 2 as only they can! AE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Q34Q8i3T0

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks, Eddy, for posting this video. I sure hope there's more to follow!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    I second that wish Michael!
  • arjrarjr ✭✭✭
    One of the best shows I've been too.

Thanks for posting AE

Angelo
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hey fellas. Here's another cool little clip from Django in June 2011. In this one, Benoit of Les Doigts de l'Homme demonstrates an arpgeggio exercise that takes you from an open Em to Em at the 12th fret. It's a great warm up practice. Benoit demonstrated this during one of his classes and I caught up with him later in the week and asked him to show it to me on film. Of course, he most graciously agreed. That is one of the beauties of DiJ -- how the instructors are easy to find on a one-on-one basis and so generous with their time. Enough talk... here you go:

AE

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Nice. :)
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    That arpeggio is beautiful, but I'm trying to think of a song with that particular chord progression that I could use it on... or is it more a fingerboard exercise than a useful combo?

Did he indicate when he would use it? Does it work on pretty much anything in Em?
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I love this exercise for its simplicity. I don't see it as a pattern to use on a particular song or during a particular set of chord changes. In its own way, its much broader than that. It consists of only two arpeggio patterns (the minor and major) run up and down the neck. It gives me stuff to chew on in my head while warming up or running with these patterns. For example: I love the way it uses a seven fret span for each arpeggio. Regardless of what song I'm playing, if I'm playing a major or minor chord I can use these patterns to give myself a sudden seven fret stretch. It expands my thinking about these simple arpeggios by working them backwards (as he does at the end of the clip). Since there are only two patterns (minor and major), I can easily change any minor he plays to a major and work from there. I can for example, think about an A chord and say to myself what is the highest note in the arpeggio pattern and then work my way backwards to the root A note on the low E string. By constantly reaffirming to myself the chord I'm in (in this case A), I start seeing the chord's smaller patterns and shapes within the arpeggio and it starts becoming second nature to go either forward or backwards within the arpeggio.I then quickly try the same exercise with other chords like B, Bm, C, D#m, etc., whatever fits my fancy. Again the beauty is that the patterns are simple, easy to remember, easy to decipher, and with a seven fret span covers a lot of turf on the fingerboard.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but that's what I get from it. In my mind, there's nothing better than simple stuff that have multiple application and learning opportunities. For me this little lesson fits that bill.

Thanks for watching. Anybody else have any thoughts about this?

AE
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    kevingcox wrote:
    Did he indicate when he would use it? Does it work on pretty much anything in Em?

It's just a warm-up exercise -- not intended to be played in its entirety during a song.

Adrian