DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely a must have-the bedrock for the area's style.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ted, In celebration of this new arrival, could you give us a little history on Schnuckenack, Hans'che Weiss Ensemble, and the rest of the Duetch Crew?

'm
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Ted, In celebration of this new arrival, could you give us a little history on Schnuckenack, Hans'che Weiss Ensemble, and the rest of the Duetch Crew?

'm
    That would be much appreciated! -s
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Does the box set have the 8 orig. album (CD) covers for each of the discs, or just one cover for the whole thing? The artwork on the orig. LP's are really cool!

P
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    kidtulsa wrote:
    Does the box set have the 8 orig. album (CD) covers for each of the discs, or just one cover for the whole thing?

Hi,
    the Box Set has an own original cover for every CD. Peter-J. Bertsch made the artwork.

Best,
    Barengero
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The "box set" is the same as the individual CDs. Just a better price per disc. All the covers are the same...

'm
  • gadjoswinggadjoswing DenmarkNew
    yes... the schmuckenack are exellent, as are the Hänsche Weiss. The CD with Prinzo and Betzi is...hmmm..well... Really German ! When i saw the Winterstein name, i must say i expected something else. But i's good fun and all are part of the gypsy tradition. This is a great set !

Rune Larsen
    www.hotcc.dk
    regards
    Rune Larsen
    Hot Club Copenhagen
    www.hotcc.dk
    gadjoswing wrote:
    When i saw the Winterstein name, i must say i expected something else.

:?: What did you expect? Prinzo Winterstein was the father (and of course the teacher, too) of Ziroli Winterstein and Holzmanno Winterstein.

btw: On the Prinzo & Betsi CD there is one title (the 5th one) skipped over in the summary. Its a waltz - a mixture of Djangos "Chez Jacquet" and Viseurs "Swing Valse".

Best,

Barengero
    . My pal Barengero would probably be able to fill us in on more of his early years.

Hi Ted,

thank you for your really great post! Well, I´ll try my very best.

Schnuckenack (that means "beautiful nose" - look at the pic above!) was born 17.2.1921 in Weinsheim/Germany. His father, who was a cousin of Django´s mother, was a violinist, too. At the age of 3 Schnuckenack was able to tune the violin perfectly. He had no other toys beneath his violin. The familiy was a Gipsy band and they led a nomadic life in the early years of Schnuckenack´s life. In the 30´s they settled down in Mainz. Schnuckenack went to the conservatory there and got a classic education there.

In 1938 the situation changed completely, because the Nazis began to persecute the Sinti sytematically ("Runderlaß zur Bekämpfung der Zigeunerplage"). After a while Schnuckenack and his familiy were put in prison for some days and then they were brought to Poland. They suceeded to escape to Czestochowa, where they used to camouflage thereselves as a hungarian Gipsy band. In the "Café Europa" they played for german soldiers until 1943. One day they got a tip from a Nazi, who loved their music, that the SS was palnning to fetch them. So they escaped to Krakow.

In Krakow they got caught by the polish police. Schnuckenacks sister Bischa Winter told, that their father was very shocked and depressed in the first moment and that he said: "Now, that´s the end, they will kill all of us now." But then he pulled himself together and said to Schnuckenack and the other members of his family: "Play, play, play our music" and so they got their instruments and began to play. The polish policemen were stunned first, and then they began to cry. They couldn´t kill the Reinhardt familiy any more then and told them to go to a little village near Krakow.

But after a while there was a razzia in that village, too. The SS cordoned off the inner city and caught 12-15 young gipsy men, Schnuckenack among them. But Schnuckenack suddenly ran away into a crowd of people, the SS shot, but they didn´t hit Schnuckenack. He escaped into a hairdresser´s shop. From the window of this shop he watched how the SS shot the other gipsies down.

Another day he and a collegue, gipsy as well, wanted to walk to Krakow, when suddenly a car stopped next to them. Two SS-men got out of that car and asked Schnuckenack and his pal for their identitiy cards. Of course they had no identity cards. So the SS-men got their pistols, brought the two gipsies to a pit that was nearby. Just before one of the SS-men wanted to shoot, he made a little pause. Then he said: "You two guys are so good-looking - it´s a pity to kill you". So he let them run away.

Schnuckenack´s younger brother was less lucky. He had a girlfriend and was so in love that he forgot to be careful. He tried to sleep in a german hotel. But the waitress called the Gestapo. and so Schnuckenacks brother was caught, brought to Auschwitz and was killed there.

In 1944 the russians came to Poland, and the Nazis rushed back to germany. Schnuckenack and his family joined one of their trains and so they all went back to germany (Kulmbach, Bavaria).

After the war they came in contact to General Clay, leader of the 7th Army. They made music for the american Officers. At that time Schnuckenack learned a lot of american standards.

It was in 1966, when the young music agent Sigfried Maeker "discovered" Schnuckenack during a pilgrimage in Lourdes. He persuaded Schnuckenack to make the "Musik der Zigeuner" accessible to a wider public. So Schnuckenack formed his ensemble and gave concerts and made his first recordings. The rest is history…

Best,
    Barengero

(please excuse my poor english)
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Ted, Barengero,
    Thanks so much for these beautiful and instructive lines... And I join you to say: buy it!
    By the way I had never noticed before that Holzmanno Winterstein was Holzmano Lagrène too! Incredible!
    Bye,
    stoche