DjangoBooks.com

Choosing between D-500 & GJ-15 (& Montreal teachers!)

Comments

• KalebimaKalebima New
    Based on the pics Diese Onze looks like it's kind of fancy - I'm a student, so I don't want to have to pay $20 a night to enjoy some jazz... is that the case?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Just go sit at the bar and have a beer. Tell Michel that Ben from Halifax sent you.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Remember that the D500 is a short scale and will benefit from heavier strings (11's) to minimize the mushyness of the sound. I like the D500 (as pictured on my Avatar) much better than both Cigano's. Its a soul thing sucka!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i don't teach anymore! but i would highly recommend my ex student eric lemay, he has quite a lot of experience, andi 've brought him to django in june many times to be my assistant.

damien is a graet player too and an ex student, dont know too much about his teaching experience, but at any rate, enjyo montreal!!!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Kalebima wrote:
    Based on the pics Diese Onze looks like it's kind of fancy - I'm a student, so I don't want to have to pay $20 a night to enjoy some jazz... is that the case?

diese onze is total shit with very poor ethics (from the owner), they got a really bad review recently on a major newspaper, i boycott that place like the plague hahaha.. the staff is constantly changing there hey i'm not always mister positive

go to the upstairs jazz club, i'll be playing there on oct 30th with hono winterstein and brady winterstein
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    If I'm free that night I'll definitely come swing by. Any other places that I should know about?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I'll second Dennis' recommendation of Eric Lemay as a teacher. I've sat in his seminars at Django in June and thought he was excellent at explaining things. Dennis, of course, is THE MAN, but he has a full plate at the moment, and Eric would be an exceptional alternative.

And do hear and get to know Michel St. Pierre. He is a fine player, but more important, he is a great person, one of the best and most interesting people I have met in the gypsy jazz world.

As for guitars, I have only heard one d-hole Cigano, but it was very, very good, better than the above average D-500 that I used to own. The matte finish made it less boomy in the bass and it's tone was closer to a Selmer d-hole sound than the D-500's I have heard and played. One caveat: I have noticed a wide range of sound quality among the oval hole Ciganos I have come across, and that may be true of the d-holes as well. There are probably a few in the Montreal area, so try to play as many as you can before you choose, then even if you get one from Michael by mail, you'll have a better idea about its sound when you get it.

Good luck with both teacher and guitar!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    As for guitars, you may be able to pick up a decent quality used one in Montreal, there are enough people going to and fro in this style. I know for a fact that there are a few up on kijiji that I would gladly have paid the extra money for if I was getting my first GJ instrument. Search for the word "manouche" which is what most french players will post their guitars as.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I second what Michael said about Eric. He's a fantastic player (hell, we was already a great player when I first saw him at Django in June 2007), excellent teacher, and really nice guy as well. You won't go wrong with him.

And even if Denis doesn't care for the management at Diese Onze, it is a good way to meet Michel, who is well worth knowing. You'll meet all sorts of other good players through him.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    Where can I get in touch with Eric to inquire about lessons & rates? Seems like he's the right person to go to. Also, where should I look to find these used guitars? Doesn't look like there's much on Kijiji in terms of manouche guitars in my price range.