DjangoBooks.com

silk and steels in a pinch

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
hey guys got a quick string question. I pretty much use argies on my dell arte exclusively, but I am in a pinch and need to change my strings and don't have time to order a set. What commercially available strings do you guys use in a pinch. I know silk and steels are popular but do you guys just use Martin silk and steels or do you guys prefer something else??
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• D'addarios are passable in a pinch, but I've convinced my local shop to stock Argies. D'addarios fall off real quick. I'd say they are good for a gig.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Yeah I am going to stick to argies, but what Daddarios are you using?? I don't think any of my local stores carries the Gypsy Jazz strings they make.
  • I've used the GJ strings twice and I think I bought a pack somewhere in Manhattan. I don't recall where, though. I also have used regular old D'addario acoustic strings if a string breaks on a gig. It will do the trick in a tough spot.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I regularly use Martin Marquis silk and steels on my Dupont and I love them!
    I have to change them twice as often as Argies but they cost half as much so...
    I got the tip from a post by Bob Holo (Thanks!) and I know Wawau Adler likes them too.
    They don't last too long but sound great, darker tone, and keep their tuning from new... but when the low E goes dead it really goes. They come with a 11.5 high E which I really like and the wound strings feel slinkier than Argentine 11s.
    Gallis Vo27 are great also.
    If they are available where you live give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Cool man thanks. I just ran out of argies not too long ago. I stocked up when I worked in music stores and could order them from suppliers. I am out now though. I do happen to have a pair of Martin Silk and Steels, that I will but on to get me by till I get back in town and then I will order some. Thanks Enrique.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I regularly use Martin Marquis silk and steels ... ... ... great, darker tone, and keep their tuning from new... but when the low E goes dead it really goes...

True that... when the low E goes dead on those Martin MS&S it just says "plop"... not even really a musical note at that point... more like thumping a watermelon.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Bosset strings Blues Bop Harry, they're really good on my Dupont, for a darker, filling-out-the-mids (Busato) kind of tone.

I was recommended them on the hotclub forum, when i was moaning about the shrillness of my Dupont, as well as the (lack of) quality control of Argies & i haven't bought a set of Argentines since. It made my MD100 a lot more balanced in tone.

They're great.

Not only are they cheaper than Argentines, they last twice as long, & never just unravel for no apparent reason.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I love the Bossets... tried two pair - both great. But I thought they were $$$ ?
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Bob Holo wrote:
    when the low E goes dead on those Martin MS&S it just says "plop"... not even really a musical note at that point... more like thumping a watermelon.
    Haha...well put.
    Maybe it's just me but it seems that just right before a set goes dead the tone is the greatest. Often I'm playing and think "Wow my guitar sounds the best it ever has" and the next day I get the "watermelon thump"...

@Pink gary: Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried those but I'm intrigued now... I'll get a set or two on my next order
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Bob Holo wrote:
    I love the Bossets... tried two pair - both great. But I thought they were $$$ ?

Maybe they are stateside, you can't seem to get them in england, i order them straight from france, from here:

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/philippe-bo ... 53946.html

where they are quite often on offer, and even when they're not they're still cheaper than Argies from the shop (though i would generally get Argies straight from Rob Aylward)