edited November 2005 in Technique Posts: 70
Say I'm playing a D minor 7th with the following chord shape

X
5 (D)
3 (F)
5 (C)
6 (F)
X

I find it difficult to mute the low E string in this shape. Wrapping my hand around the neck to get it with my thumb introduces and awkward stretch, and resting the tip of my first finger against the bottom of it is also difficult.

How do other people play this chord?

Comments

• Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    You damp it with your thumb. You don't have to actually have your thumb in the fretting position. You just need to be able to touch the low-e string to keep it from vibrating. Also try to aim for the two center strings. With practice, you shouldn't be hitting the string anyways.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I do it by lightly touching the Low E string with the tip of my index, sometimes i even fret the A (5th fret).
    Though I also use the thumb method.
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    try playing the same cord but with an A on the low E string insted of muting it. Play this A with your middle finger, so that that finger is keeping down the A on the low E string and the D on the A string. You will get a nice rich sound whilst not loosing the nature of the cord.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Agreed-I don't see how you could finger that chord and use your index to mute the low E. There might be some mixup because the way you're writing out the chord tab is upside down from most people...

Best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Oh yes...I meant the middle finger.
    Sorry