DjangoBooks.com

VINTAGE SOUNDING DJANGO PLAYALONGS ??

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited March 2012 in Pearl Django Play-Along Vol.1 Posts: 561
Hey there Gypsy Jazzers !

I'm curious about something - Every play along I've heard so far is very modern sounding, with good mics and pro tools quality recording.
SO... first question - Is there a play along series that a) intentially tries to sound like the STYLE of Pompe' Django ACTUALLY played (clearer voicings of the chords and a slightly slower, that's right slower, upstrum which would nowadays be considered bad pompe'.
AND b) recorded in a way so it would actually SOUND like an early django recording with the solo removed (like with that 30's background hiss that some of us like).

second question - - If there is NOT something like this already, am I the ONLY person who would want playalongs that sound this way, or are there others who would like it too ?

Cheers
Anthony

Comments

• tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    Hi Antony,
    I would like to have the vintage sounding plyalong too !
    If you find them please inform us, thank you. :D
    Ciao,
    Tommaso
    Grazie Django!
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Anthony,

I think making you're own tracks is the way to go, it's one of my favorite things to do. It helps your rhythm playing and harmonic concept of the material you solo on. You can use any audio recording software, metronome, and mic. Sometimes I even use the little mic on my Mac laptop and it sounds just fine.

As far as vintage goes, you would need to use a multitrack audio program that hosts plug-ins. There are a ton out there, including some free ones. The FREE Izotope vinyl plug-in will replicate any era of vintage recording through specific types of EQ and added vinyl cracks and record warps, it's alot of fun to flip through the presets, they all sound very cool.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

The pompe thing....I'd like to hear an A-B example of what your going for.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey Js,

I don't really have the time and patience to do it myself considering all that would have to go into making it sound vintage, though I do record my own play alongs for study.
    I was just wondering aloud why no one has thought to do playalongs this way.
    As for the type of pompe', I just notice that most playalongs, as well as most groups these days play a much quicker up strum in their pompe' than Joe Reinhardt did in those old recordings. They also don't allow the treble notes in a chord to ring at all. As a result, I find it very hard to hear the chord changes in pretty much ALL playalongs out their today. the only way to follow the changes with your ear is by listening to the bassline. Not to mention that thanks to the current super speed fad in gypsy jazz, all the playalongs are at breakneck speeds.

So....... why not do one that sounds JUST like Django recordings with the leads removed.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Cool idea! Until someone does it correctly, how's this just for grins... :wink: AE
    Nice job AE !!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    AE- Now that's what I'm talking about !!! NICE.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, except it sounds very fake. You have to carefully EQ out the frequencies aswell as add in the noise. Personally, I prefer to not include the "skips" when using IZOTOPE.

It sounds like a modern recording through a VST plugin, not an authentic old recording. :)

Compare it to other recordings of this period and you'll see what I mean.

But I don't think there is a way to make it too realistic yet, part of the sound is because of the recording equipment used and the way of recording et.c. The fret buzz and string noise et.c is still too audible, for obvious reasons. You have to use only one mic, like in the old days. The positioning also matters SO much when using one microphone.

The quality is more battered than even the 1947 "North American Service of the French Broadcasting System" Minor Swing recording, except there's more frequencies in there. I think the EQ-ing of IZOTOPE is too linear, a lot of frequencies which shouldn't be there are still there.

In the end, maybe it's just too much of a hassle to make an authentic-sounding 78rpm recording.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Very nice, except it sounds very fake.

Damn, and here I thought you guys would think it was for real! :wink: AE
    hahahaha nice one AE
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I sometimes tend to record myself through my cell phone. The quality is bad enough so that it might suffice for your own purpose. Of course you should use your cell phone, not mine...

It makes me wonder whether with today's technology it would be possible to surgically remove Django and / or Stephane's off a recording.
    A while ago Charles Aznavour had done something along that idea to perform a virtual duet with Edith Piaf. I suppose anyone could solo or trade with either Django or Stephane.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqsBrF4eD6c
    - JG