DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    I don't get it, you're notifying the forum to the sale of an item that is already sold?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hasn't sold yet, but someone put it on hold. There are quite a lot of people looking to buy one of Bob's guitars so they usually go fast.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Just to confirm Mike, ON HOLD doesn't mean sold, if a higher offer is presented it becomes ON HOLD for the higher offer, like an auction?
    No, it isn't an auction. Just first come first serve. If the buyer decides he doesn't want it during the 48 hour trial period it could come back, although that's pretty rare for one of Bob's guitars. But if it did it would be at the same price.

Hold means someone is sending payment and/or the guitar is in transit. Once the customer has received the guitar and confirmed it's a keeper then it will be marked as sold.

Thanks!

M
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Thanks for clearing that Michael, I had wondered what the process was.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    redblues wrote:
    I don't get it, you're notifying the forum to the sale of an item that is already sold?
    Even if you want a Holo guitar, it seems that unless you're a professional musician in this genre, you can't order one and that the only option is for you to be on line 24hrs/day and be sure not to miss Michael's post or Tweet that one has just that second arrived! Even if you missed it by mere seconds, as a friend of mine recently did; you don't automatically get put next in line to get one and have to start the whole waiting game process all over again, to see if you're lucky enough to get one or not. It's all a bit of a random gamble which seems a bit unfair. If you want a Park or an MJS or other quality luthier guitar, you can order one and know that you will get one at some point, but not so with a Holo. At least, not presently.
    Hi Phil,

I know it can be frustrating if you're waiting to buy one of Bob's guitars, but there's a few things you should consider that make him different than the other luthiers you cited who have formal waiting lists:

1) Bob's primary motivation as a luthier is to build the best Selmer Maccaferri guitar possible. To do this requires that over half his time and efforts go into research and development. He destroys over half the guitars he builds as they were built only to test an acoustical hypothesis. As you would imagine, this drastically reduces the number of guitars he can actually sell to the public. Most luthiers can build about two guitars a month. Bob only releases less than half that to sell. But remember, this is why nearly every instrument he does sell is exceptional. The wait may be long but who else has this level of quality control?

2) Bob prioritizes orders from professional artists as he wants his guitars in the hands of those who will play them. He's been fortunate to have so much interest from professionals, especially the new school players from France like Rockey Gresset, Mathew Chattelain, Antoine Boyer, etc. As you would imagine, it is a luthiers greatest joy to see his instruments in the hands of players who will be playing his guitars day in and day out at concerts and recording sessions. Of course, this doesn't mean he wants semi-pros and part time players to go without guitars, but there are only so many instruments he can make.

3) There are plenty of fine luthiers who will make an excellent guitar to your specs within a specified time frame. Bob's instruments are essentially "luthier's choice" as he feels custom options are at odds with what is best for the acoustic properties of the guitar. He doesn't want to put his name on anything that he doesn't feel is 100% inline with his design philosophy. Additionally, committing to a wait list puts him under pressure to "produce" rather than "research" which is a situation he doesn't want to be in. Keep in mind that even luthiers who do commit to wait lists often are delayed months, even years, which can be really frustrating for all involved.

Hopefully this explains the scarcity of Bob's instruments a little better. He's just doing what he feels is necessary to build the best possible guitar. I know it can be frustrating if you're waiting to buy one but in the end this is all what is best for the guitar.

M
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    3) ...Additionally, committing to a wait list puts him under pressure to "produce" rather than "research" which is a situation he doesn't want to be in...
    Hopefully this explains the scarcity of Bob's instruments a little better. M

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply; Bob makes brilliant guitars, that's why they're highly sought by players at all levels; & nobody wants to put Bob under any pressure to "produce" rather than "research" or to commit him to a wait list...but surely you could establish a wait list for folk who are clearly out there wanting to buy a Holo and clearly do so, as his guitars are instantly sold the moment you post them. That would seem appropriate and fair to those who really want one, as otherwise it's total luck of the draw and being the "1st caller" who "wins" the guitar. The guitars shouldn't be solely for those with the time on their hands & the high tech computer gadets, who are immediately notified by a "beep" that a Holo guitar has been posted for sale on your site.
    Thanks for considering that possibility.
    Cheers
    Phil :D
  • andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    Don't think there is any better way to sell them impartially.
    I had considered a wait list but my experience with wait lists in the past is that unless you take a non-refundable deposit, you just get loads of people saying "put me on the list" with only a small percentage actually being serious. And I'd rather not take people's money in advance as I can't really guarantee what model Bob will make next and when it will be available. Additionally, a list will put additional pressure on Bob to fill orders. That's not really what he's about and I think he would prefer to keep it this way unless he tells me otherwise. There are just too many variables and too many potential problems. First come first serve insures that the customer likes the model that is available and won't have to wait for it.

None of the buyers of Bob's guitars have been particularly tech savvy...I can guarantee no one is using any special monitoring device.

Sorry, I know it's frustrating if you want one but I still think this is the fairest way to do it.