DjangoBooks.com

New Photo of Django in Café Society!

Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in History Posts: 457
I found this in an old filing cabinet in my basement. Click on the photos for max resolution!

Personell, left to right: Leonard Feather, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, Lionel Hampton.

The original photo is 8x10 inch and is from the Leonard Feather Archives.

Nah, just kidding. I found it at: http://contentdm.lib.uidaho.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/lfc&CISOPTR=273&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

You can see all the photos from Café Society they have at: http://contentdm.lib.uidaho.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=/lfc&CISOBOX1=8x10

Go to the website and you can zoom in the photo for max resolution. Grab the photo everywhere while zoomed in on max resolution and then put it together in photoshop and we'll all have a super-high resolution version of the photo!

When you try to download it'll say "getimage.exe", just rename it to "getimage.jpg" before downloading. Who's up to this task?

Another good question is if there are any footage or tape recordings from Django's time in Café Society Uptown, 1 Sheridian Square, Greenwich Village, NY.

Its owner was Barney Josephson.

"Mr. Josephson died in 1988. Two decades later, his widow, Terry Trilling-Josephson, has cobbled together a posthumous memoir. Her husband’s tape-recorded recollections and capsule oral histories from other eyewitnesses recall a cultural phenomenon that helped promote Billie Holiday, Alberta Hunter, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan, Big Joe Turner, Art Tatum, Mary Lou Williams, Jack Gilford, Zero Mostel, Imogene Coca, Carol Channing and more."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/nyregion/16book.html

If he had tape-recorded recollections, there is a chance he owned a tape recorder during that time. Consumer magnetic tape recorders started production in 1948, but they existed before that.

"Free Humanities Component @ 6pm
Prior to each concert, TRIBECA will screen historic film clips of some of Cafe Society's most prominent artists. The footage is taken from the famed Dave Chertok collection, and the evenings will be narrated by his son, Michael."

The Dave Chertok Collection has 600 hours of nightclub footage and television appearances. Does it include performances from Café Society? Django Reinhardt? Who knows. Make TRIBECA has it.

Dave Chertok died in 1988.

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks Svanis, nice photo! Good to see Les Paul and the crew hangin' with Django. Dig that artwok on the walls...too hip.
    Swang on,
  • oliverfoliverf VancouverNew
    I think we need a new forum section for gypsy jazz mustache styles!
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Yeah. It's pretty cool. It says "Learn How To Draw in 5 Easy Lessons by Anton Refregier.

Here's Django's hand and the other photos from "Café Society". I have higher quality copies of these photos but I'm on another computer right now so had to pull these from the internet. Again, click to view in higher resolution.

Django's Hand.

Leonard Feather, Roberta Lee, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, Lionel Hampton Nat "King" Cole, Illinois Jacquet.

Django Reinhardt, Paul Whiteman.

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    I found this in an old filing cabinet in my basement. Click on the photos for max resolution!

Personell, left to right: Leonard Feather, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, Lionel Hampton.

The original photo is 8x10 inch and is from the Leonard Feather Archives.

Excellent quality copy. Much better than mine. Great find. :D Star checking those old cardboard boxes in your basement now, you might find some rare film footage there. :roll:
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    ..........It was a great start to what ultimately turned out to be a very disappointing gig. :cry:
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Go to the website and you can zoom in the photo for max resolution. Grab the photo everywhere while zoomed in on max resolution and then put it together in photoshop and we'll all have a super-high resolution version of the photo!

No need to do the work manually in Photoshop. Here is a direct link to the full image in max resolution:

http://contentdm.lib.uidaho.edu/cgi-bin ... DMROTATE=0

To get that, I loaded the original image in a new browser window, then poked at the values for "DMSCALE", "DMWIDTH", "DMHEIGHT", "DMX" and "DMY" in the URL.

Adrian
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Adrian. Thanks a ton. You're a wizard. I suppose this is also a good time to say that I really enjoy your youtube videos. Saw your SMB2 cover on there AND on OCRemix. Also the Douce Ambiance with "Thrip". Great stuff.

I helped Patrus53 getting the best quality footage of Django & Co, and we will hopefully be seeing the very high DVD quality "La Route du Bonheur" scene on his channel, as well as Teddy's, "Trois doigts de génie" and "about-django"'s copy of the Harry Volpe footage in the same place.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    I seem to remember Leonard Feather didn't like Django's playing--what an idiot....
    I actually met Leonard Feather(who was born in the UK) once when i worked at Chappells in London....i was a bit cool with him:-)
    Stu
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    WOW !
    BRAVO Svanis :D