DjangoBooks.com

Use a bar on the Chromatic Arpeggio (Example 5.1)?

Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
edited December 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 70
Do people use a bar when playing this arpeggio? I'm finding the most effcient way is to hold a 1st finger bar on the top three strings the whole time, and am wondering if others concur.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You should definitely be able to play it without barring. You get better articulation of the notes that way...when you barre everything rings out. Only going up of course...one of the nice side effects of rest stroke picking is that i t mutes the next highest string.

You could do it as a barre as a variation. But make sure you can do it without the barre first.

Good luck!

'm
  • Hey Michael, similar sort of question so I didn't see any sense starting another thread. I was wondering about about that lick during improvisation#1 that occurs in bar26. The second bit really, would you hold that diminshed shape and just slide it, or lift each finger off as you play the next one? I've kinda been practicing one note at a time, but the other way sounds kinda cool and is much easier to play fast.

Practice both ways I guess?
    I was wondering about about that lick during improvisation#1 that occurs in bar26. The second bit really, would you hold that diminished shape and just slide it, or lift each finger off as you play the next one? I've kinda been practicing one note at a time, but the other way sounds kinda cool and is much easier to play fast.

You would definitely hold the diminished shape down and just slide on that one....it's way to freaking fast to do it any other way!

Have fun...

'm
  • I was wondering about about that lick during improvisation#1 that occurs in bar26. The second bit really, would you hold that diminished shape and just slide it, or lift each finger off as you play the next one? I've kinda been practicing one note at a time, but the other way sounds kinda cool and is much easier to play fast.

You would definitely hold the diminished shape down and just slide on that one....it's way to freaking fast to do it any other way!

Have fun...

'm

Ah cool. I thought it sounded that way. Generally with arps though you'd sweep and lift each finger though? Like in bar 8 of the same tune?

Cheers. Great books btw.
    Generally with arps though you'd sweep and lift each finger though? Like in bar 8 of the same tune?

Just depends on the situation. Most of the time they are done 1 finger at a time. But sometimes a barre will be held for maybe just two or three notes. Other times, like in m. 92, you're holding a chord down with your left hand and arpeggiating it with all the notes ringing out.

'm