DjangoBooks.com

Is this a good pick for GJ?

Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 147
I recently got into gipsy jazz and i am still using my favorite pick which is 4mm V-picks Bb pick. It has a rounded edges. Do you think its a good pick for gipsy jazz or i would benefit from getting a wegen or other gipsy pick?

http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=99

Comments

• Depends a bit on what you are playing

If you like it for rest stroke single string probably fine although for me it looks quite large and sharp pointed

For rhythm I would suggest getting something with a more rounded edge. Very difficult to do rhythm well with a point that sharp. Stochelo uses a fairly sharp point but he is pretty experienced in this genre and plays mostly lead anyway. I suspect like Django he could play with the end of a comb and sound good.

For the rest of us mortals take the easier way out I use a blue chip 2 mm that I have specially made but there are a number of GJ picks out there. Michael has lots in the djangbooks store
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    This one i use is rounded.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I like the V pick Bb. Little less brightness than a Wegen but perfectly fine for Gypsy Jazz. Like the feel of this pick. (Wegen is still my favorite for gigs however...) AE
  • dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    I've become very accustomed to the Big City picks, but that v-pick looks interesting to me.

B%20flat%20with%20quarter.jpg
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    that pick looks just about perfect to me. I like the wegen twins myself
  • If your pick is fat and rounded should be great for rhythm
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....I say try a Wegen either the GJ 3.5 mm or the 2.5 mm (usually set of two). Good tone, easy to control with the grooves and thumb depressions. They are my favorites for both a Busato and a Favino style guitar.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Why make a pick transparent!! It's worse than making it black... Now i can't see it on ANY carpet i drop it on. Cheers!
    these "big stubby" are 3mm and i just paid $10 for 2 dozen.
    nice point on one edge and the rest is round and fat.
    nice variation in tones by simply rotating the pick.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... itar-picks
    CHEERS