DjangoBooks.com

new gypsy jazz player needs advise

gypsybluegypsyblue New
edited February 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 14
Hi,

Im Will im a British guitar player and the last few years got the django bug!!1 i had played guitar mainly blues for years before learning this style and has gone well so far.

Where i am in terms ofplaying manouch style. well i am confident rhythm player and belive i have good authentic technique or at least progressing and understanding it well in terms of solo playing. I have learnt lots of guitar solos note fr note and my musical ear is good and i have some idea of arpeggios etc. and am pleased with tone and projection im getting when playing things

But i have very litlle in way of music theory and wanted some people perspective of there aproach to improvised solos.

So far im using lots min6 arpeg as well as diminished runs etc as well as phrasing notes and lines by ear. What is good ways to improvise, work of route notes of chords as a base etc? Any advise to anything would be greatly recived.

I know there are lots of fantastic reasources out there with books dvd's etc, but can someone giveme a overall general idea of starting points fr approaching solo playing

Any comments be thankfully recived.

Many Thanks

Will

Comments

• gypsybluegypsyblue New
    Oh and is there lots of use of standard major scale used in GJ, and any particular pattens that are used frequently.

cheers
  • Some ideas to think on

Dennis Chang Technique and Improvisation DVD set (

In the style of Stochelo Rosenberg (DC DVD)

both are available at Djangobooks methinks
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed