DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy chords

edited November 2005 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 6
Hi Michael
first of all congratulations for everything that you wrote about this style of playing.
Your books and approach are the best that I have ever seen.
I am 50 years old and I had in my hands hundreds different guitar books but never
I was so impressed as I had opportunity to go through your books.
Your style,knowledge and love for this style is amazing and especially way that you share your knowledge.Great job and I am glad to order your new book Gypsy Rhythm.
I would like to ask you few question about playing some idiomatic gypsy voicings.
You sugested fingering in 6/9 forms 221134 like D6/9 with 5th in the bass using
3rd and 4th finger on B and top E string.In G6/9 form your fingering is T22133
Is it way that gypsies are playing this chord or some of them are also fingering top two strings with their 3rd and 4th finger.
Also i am wondering how Django fingered those chords because his 3rd and 4th finer couldn't move separately,especially in dom7/9 forms like G7/9 with your fingering T22143
I agree with you that most important is right hand technique,keeping La pompe but
I am just wonering.
Do you have any exercise for "thumb position" playing that you can suggest to me.
Glad to hear from you
All the best

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    ocicornija wrote:
    Hi Michael
    first of all congratulations for everything that you wrote about this style of playing.
    Your books and approach are the best that I have ever seen.

Glad you're enjoying the books!

You suggested fingering in 6/9 forms 221134 like D6/9 with 5th in the bass using
    3rd and 4th finger on B and top E string.In G6/9 form your fingering is T22133
    Is it way that gypsies are playing this chord or some of them are also fingering top two strings with their 3rd and 4th finger.

Yes, those are the most common fingerings. I don't think I've ever seen a Gypsy use the 4th finger on the T22133 voicing. But it's possible....

Also i am wondering how Django fingered those chords because his 3rd and 4th finer couldn't move separately,especially in dom7/9 forms like G7/9 with your fingering T22143

Actually, Django did have some independence of the 3rd and 4th finger. Not much, but he seemed to be able to place them one fret apart on the higher strings.

Do you have any exercise for "thumb position" playing that you can suggest to me.

One thing that helps a lot with thumb position is placing the palm of your hand against the back of the neck. So you get sort of a vice grip on the neck. That makes it easier to get your thumb over the top and also reposition your fingers at a 45 degree angle relative to the strings. That really helps with some of the stretches and makes the one finger double stops easier.

Good luck!

-Michael
    Thanks for your answer.
    As you wrote in your books there are some typical unortodox fingerings
    Gypsies are using.That is the fact and that is what I wanted to hear from you because you learned this from first hand.In John Jorgenson book
    Introduction to Gypsy Jazz Guitar I have seen possible fingering for
    min6/9 chord as T22134 .I also agree with you about "thumb position"playing .It makes really chord changes easier.