DjangoBooks.com

Just ordered a Gitane DG-370 Modele Dorado Schmitt

Hi,

My name is Bob and I am new to the forum. I am new to GJ playing but having been playing solo jazz chord melody for over a decade now on an archtop guitar (Heritage Sweet 16). I am a hobbyist player (with a day job) who mostly plays at home and plays solo arrangements.

A 14 fret, long-scale neck made sense and because I will mostly be playing acoustically at home solo arrangements (both chords and single line); a D hole also made sense as a configuration (thanks Michael for guiding me through the unknown). I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the dive into GJ so I ordered a Gitane DG-370 from Michael. I opted to have Josh fret level it, build a new bridge and a set-up because I know that it makes a big difference on my archtop and other guitars. I should get it in about 3 weeks. I also ordered a copy of Gypsy Picking to learn some new techniques (rest stroke etc.).

I spent two cups of coffee looking at the forum archives (interesting how gear gets the most threads!) and found it quite educational. I have no experience with Gitane or any instruments made in China (although I have tried 1 or 2 Eastman archtops), but I am hoping the quality of this instrument properly set up will be what I hope it is. Players in this forum seem to speak highly about them, so I am looking forward to it arriving. I did not opt to have a pick-up installed at this time, but it sounds as if there are many options that I could try at a later date to work with my jazz amp (Acoustic Image Clarus 2R with a Raezer's Edge 10" Nighthawk Speaker).

I will follow-up with my impressions of the instrument's construction and tone after it arrives.

:-)

Bob
Guitars: Gitane DG-370 Modele Dorado Schmitt, Heritage "Sweet 16"
Amp: Acoustic Image Clarus 2R, Raezer's Edge Nighthawk 10ER

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Bob, I have this exact guitar, and it's a real gem. With the bridge fix it should be a dream guitar. Here's a video of me using mine (in radio studio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWYc4_XCGU

If you have any questions or want to talk shop about this guitar, let me know.

Paul
  • iim7v7im7iim7v7im7
    Paul,

Thanks for sharing the video. You guys sounded great and it looked like you were having fun.

Best,

Bob
    bopster wrote:
    Bob, I have this exact guitar, and it's a real gem. With the bridge fix it should be a dream guitar. Here's a video of me using mine (in radio studio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWYc4_XCGU

If you have any questions or want to talk shop about this guitar, let me know.

Paul
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Bob -
    Congrats on the purchase of your new Dorado Schmitt model guitar. Michael had one on display at DFNW '10 that I played and it was really nice sounding and easy to play even with the longer scale length about 680mm which is much longer than your Heritage archtop. I would have bought it had I not picked up a used D-500 earlier in the year.
    Josh builds a great bridge (three of mine) and also said to me by Neil Anderson (founding member of Pearl Django).
    Michael's "Gypsy Picking" book is the fundamentals of the right hand. What a great adventure you are embarking upon!
    Jam on!
    Rocky
  • iim7v7im7iim7v7im7
    Rocky,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Yes, I will be interested to feel what a 676 mm scale length with .011 Argentines feels like vs. my 648 mm scale length archtop with Thomastik-Infeld .013s. I know that D'Addario Gypsy Jazz .011-.045 strings have 158 lb. of tension at pitch (I am guessing at a shorter scale length than 676 mm) and my TI Swings have 157 lb at pitch @ 648 mm. My 648 mm acoustic is played at 163 lb of tension (PB lights) and is noticably more difficult to grip complex chord voicings quickly. This is the largest unknown for me is the feel of the Argentines on a long-scale neck.

Bob
    B25Gib wrote:
    Bob -
    Congrats on the purchase of your new Dorado Schmitt model guitar. Michael had one on display at DFNW '10 that I played and it was really nice sounding and easy to play even with the longer scale length about 680mm which is much longer than your Heritage archtop. I would have bought it had I not picked up a used D-500 earlier in the year.
    Josh builds a great bridge (three of mine) and also said to me by Neil Anderson (founding member of Pearl Django).
    Michael's "Gypsy Picking" book is the fundamentals of the right hand. What a great adventure you are embarking upon!
    Jam on!
    Rocky
  • iim7v7im7iim7v7im7
    Josh,

Has the patient reached your operating room yet? What is the prognosis?

Bob
  • iim7v7im7iim7v7im7
    The instrument is now incoming and should arrive on Saturday if our friends at Fedex are accurate.

Bob
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Keep us posted, and tell us what you think.
  • iim7v7im7iim7v7im7
    Hi,

The Fedex man came with the guitar this morning. I will give you my impressions, albeit from a Gypsy jazz novice who has no experience with this type of guitar. The neck is a touch wider and is also slimmer than my archtop or flattop guitars. It came with ball end Savarez Argentine .011s and has an action at the 12th fret of 0.080 which is quite low. The strings feel smooth during finger slides and gage feels quite light despite the longer scale neck. They are quite easy to bend and vibrato.

The overall fit and finish is quite good and I am pleased with what Gitane has produced in their factory in China. The frets were finished nicely (Josh fret leveled them) and the edges of the fingerboard are finished smoothly and the neck finish while polished is not sticky. Josh built a bridge and installed a leather at the tailpiece as well.

The instrument is loud! Perhaps no surprise to you more experienced Gypsy Jazz players. Easily louder than either my OM flattop or archtop for a given input pick. It is quite responsive to pick attack and has good dynamics. Its timbre is quite midrange focused, with good note to note separation and resonance when strummed. The bass is tight and focused as you would expect from a maple/spruce instrument.

I sat down and played a bunch of straight-ahead jazz standards (Darn That Dream, Have You Met Miss Jones, Here’s That Rainy day, I can’t Get Started and Nuages) in my solo jazz chord melody style. What a delight! Very different instrument than either of my other guitars in its tone and feel and while not what it was designed for; it really sounded good.

I can see why the rest stroke and the techniques and the larger beveled picks work well with this type of guitar (I just started Gypsy Picking Exercises). Sitting with ones right foot elevated is a bit different than what I am used to (I usually elevate my left foot and angle the neck upward) but it does position the body near your body allowing your arm to hang.

I have attached some images.

Bob

gitane3.jpg

gitane2.jpg

gitane5.jpg

gitane6.jpg

gitane8.jpg

gitane10.jpg

gitane9.jpg
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    That is a beauty, wish I had one. Congratulations.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Tight grained top, that's very selmerish... :-)