DjangoBooks.com

Just One of Those Things -Jimmy Rosenberg

Kelly DowKelly Dow South Florida✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 25
Here is a great little arpeggiated run Jimmy plays on the Jimmy Rosenberg Trio album on the song Just One of Those Things.
This is at the end of the B section during the first time around. I love the way he anticipates the changes by an eighth note, changing the arrpegio on the up-beat of 4.
The only down side to this version is Jimmy plays the bridge in the wrong key. When I went to check the chords, he is playing the A section in the standard D minor- which would make the first chord on the bridge an Eb maj. In this version they go to an Ab maj. staying a fourth off all the way until they get to the Gminor. I didn't even notice until I started working on the solo, it actually sounds right and works well, but I don't think he did this on purpose.
This is a barn burner too, Thank the good Lord for reed-kotler.
Feel free to correct any picking errors, or give alternate suggestions.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Kelly Dow wrote:
    The only down side to this version is Jimmy plays the bridge in the wrong key. When I went to check the chords, he is playing the A section in the standard D minor- which would make the first chord on the bridge an Eb maj. In this version they go to an Ab maj.

The "wrong" Ab change actually dates back to Django's version (which is most likely to be where someone like Jimmy picked it up)...the big question is did he do it on purpose?

Best,
    Jack.
  • Kelly DowKelly Dow South Florida✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks Jack, that explains it, I should have known it goes back to Django.
    I have to admit, this isn't a tune I play on a regular basis, so I didn't even realize it wasn't the standard Cole Porter changes until I checked the chords against some lead sheets. I was like, whoa, something wierd is going on here, I guess the Ab Maj bridge would be the standard gypsy changes.

As far as did he do it on purpose? who knows? That's a good question, Django did like to modulate, but this isn't the typical "lets do the head in Bb then the solos in Ab and then back to Bb."
    Maybe someone out there knows the history behind this tune.

I like to use these licks on gigs and practice them with abersolds, so I wanted everyone to be aware that you may need to tweak this particular phrase for it to work, even on the same song, in the same place, that is all I meant by "down side".