DjangoBooks.com

I ned guitar -what should I buy?

tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
I have asked this question before, but I live in the St. Louis, MO (USA) area and there is only one gypsy guitar in a shop in the entire area.

It was Gitane D-500, it sounded nice and played pretty good except that
the action was not very good past the 7th fret (I realize that sometimes guitar need to be setup or re-setup).

Several shops will order a guitar for me, and online, there are several stores that will allow me to return the instrument within thirty days. Although, I have the privilege, ethically, I do not want to order and return and reorder if at all possible.

I can spend at least $1000 (I can buy Gitane DG-300 w hard case for $999). I was leaning towards a Jorgenson modele until this Lulo Reinhardt DG-310 appeared upon the scene?

I don't know that I want the thicker neck of the DAG-300? I like a trim neck but not excessively small ala some Fender models (I have owned Gibson L7, ES-175, L5 guitars) I like Gibson necks.

Actually, I could spend more that $1000 for a guitar. What is available past the Gitane in the next price range. I have only seen guitars for $2000 plus (actually closer to $2500) once I get past Gitanes?

Thanks,
JT (Tom) Crammond
J.T. (Tom) Crammond
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Comments

• nuagesnuages central ar.✭✭✭
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    It's a pretty big jump from the gitanes to the next level of guitar quality. Personally, the thing I like leats about my gitane is the thin neck...I found it comfortable at fist but the more I play this style the more annoying it becomes. I wouls have got the jorgenson if it was available at the time, though I find the trim a bit ugly. The Lulu looks almost the same I think but with a less glaring finish.
  • drollingdrolling New
    Yup, the 250/255 Gitanes feature a very slender neck profile. Slimmer, in fact, than most of my electric guitars.

Altho' I have small hands, I find a skinny neck far more fatiguing to play on. My 250 maple has this crisp, dry sound that's just great for single string stuff, but my left hand cramps up after about 1/2 an hour of playing.

Much more comfortable w/the substantial 'U' shaped profile of the 300. But as I said on the *other* thread, I'm really liking the looks of the new 310. If it's got a nice big neck on it, Saga may have another winner.
  • tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
    I sent an email question to Saga about the neck on the 310?
    Here is quote (snip) from Saga's David Gartland (Marketing):

"The neck for the DG-310 is more like the DG-255. Lulo did not want any special neck specification as did John."

So that may be a disappointment to some. I have read that some players do not like the 300 neck because of U shape - others say yes.
    So I am still wondering?

Tom
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Wanna talk about great necks...

Slightly slender & lighting fast D shaped necks - Shelley Park
    Beefy but very comfortable D shaped necks - Dell Arte Hommage
    Very groovy feeling old-school square (2x4) necks - Gallato

VERY NICE necks... on these guitars.

Very different from each other, but very nice indeed.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.