DjangoBooks.com

DjangoFest Mill Valley this week!

Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
edited June 2012 in North America Posts: 589
Reminder all - DjangoFest Mill Valley (formerly DjangoFest SF) is happening this week June 7-10 with a tremendous lineup: The Rosenberg Trio, The Lost Fingers, Paulus Schafer with Tim Kliphaus, Gonzalo Bergara Quartet, Robin Nolan, Antoine and Sebastien Boyer, Alfonso Ponticelli with Tony Ballog, Jimmy Luttrell Trio, and Jimmy Grant Quartet. Here's the link: http://www.djangofest.com/sf/home.htm AE

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey there ! I'll be at the Robin Nolan show friday night and his workshop on saturday. If anyone want's to jam after the workshop let me know, I'll probably hang out in the square afterwards.

Cheers !

Anthony
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I won't be there this weekend, but the Rosenberg Trio is playing at the Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara on Monday, June 11,and I WILL be at that!!!! :D
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I just heard the ROsenbergs have cancelled because of visa problems!!!!!!!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • dholedhole Park City, UTNew
    My email to Nick the Dfest artistic Director.

Lost Fingers is a successful band from Quebec. They play Djangofied 80's and 90's pop hits. I love modern GJ tunes but not like this.

I'm curious as to what other GJ enthusiasts think of Lost Fingers.

I see Dfest NW 2012 has Lost fingers on the bill.

Dear Nick,

I attended DF in Mill Valley on Saturday and Sunday night. I was very disappointed the Rosenbergs were not there. Even more disappointing was the substitution of Lost Fingers on Saturday night. They were good musicians but I believe their material was not appropriate for an audience hoping for Gypsy Jazz, Swing Jazz etc. Gonzalo Bergara and his band would have been a much more satisfying substitution. Calling "The Lost Fingers band" gypsy jazz is like calling pizza hut, italian food. I won't been attending any future concerts if Lost Fingers are on the bill.

The rest of the performers were very good. Although I thought Jimmy Lutrell was way past his prime.

Just my 2 cents
    Dhole
    Djangofest NW 07' 08'
  • EngroovedEngrooved
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2
    dhole wrote:
    I'm curious as to what other GJ enthusiasts think of Lost Fingers.
    From a novice...

Lost Fingers are like a gateway. Between them, the movie Swing Kids and the movie Sweet and Lowdown I was exposed to swing on a guitar. This was the spark to a fire of appreciation I now have for gypsy swing.

I soon started to dig deeper, learning of Django, the Ferret family, and the roots of Gypsy Jazz. This took me through to the current crop of players. Then I picked up a guitar myself just wanting to play the simplest le pompe. I’ve been at it a year now and I can’t get enough!

Moral of the story, for those who are new to this style of music, the connection that acts like Lost Fingers bring isn’t all that negative a thing. I don’t own any of their music, I can’t say they are “pure”, but they sure were a gateway for me.
  • dholedhole Park City, UTNew
    "Broken Fingers are like a gateway." I assume you mean Lost Fingers. Thank you for your response. You have a valid point of View. I had not thought of it like that.

Welcome, I can't get enough either. I'm Still trying to learn how to play this stuff.

I love all the modern GJ Swing. Original compositions by all the current bands are great. Gonzalo Bergara. I've seen him 3 times now. Romane, HC of Detroit. All have some great tunes. Somehow the lost Fingers rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not knocking their musicianship just their choice of material. I would like to have one of those colored suits they wear.
    Cheers
  • EngroovedEngrooved
    dhole wrote:
    "Broken Fingers are like a gateway." I assume you mean Lost Fingers.

YES! That was a strange error... must have been some end of week brain drain. Sorry about that!
    dhole wrote:
    Welcome, I can't get enough either.

Thanks! I've lurked about for a while. Seems like a great community.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    They are'nt really my thing either but they are turning kids onto gypsy jazz ..

'All God's Creatures Have A Voice in the Choir' 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell