DjangoBooks.com

Ridding the pick bevel on a wegen

Hey guys, first post, so go easy 8)

So I've had a variety of wegens for a while now, including the gp250, the twins, the trimus, and a bluegrass pick. I've always found the wegens alot more difficult to use than say, a dunlop big stubby (an obviously inferior pick). The wegen always sounded alot better but the dunlop was 10x easier to play, and I would always be loud and clean. So I experimented and couldn't find a right hand position that would allow me to optimize tone consistently. Then I realized it's actually the bevel that messes me up. I suppose I play at a strange angle for the gypsy style, but I actually filed down the bevel on my gp250 today and found myself pleasantly surprised. My attack became much crisper and more dynamically consistent, and I found myself in control. I'm just wondering if I'm the only oddball on here. Does anyone else like non-pre-beveled picks? Or does anyone else sand out the wegen bevel?

Comments

• I went with a different pick instead.

Blue chip custon large jazz 2mm

Slick, amazingly wear resistant, crisp but fuller tone than the wegen, with the least pick noise of any pick i have ever used.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I flip the pick over-always have done. The curve it gives me puts more emphasis on the tip of the pick and the little area that sits just above the finger nail on the first finger.
    Nobody ever showed me this but when I was being taught by Fintan Gilligan (who in turn was was taught by Mathieu Chatelain) it seemed to be the way I got the best results. Give it a go!

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    Jazzaferri,

The only picks available in Edmonton are the wegens. There used to be red bears but they didn't sell well enough at the one shop and so they don't stock them anymore. I've been trying to make due with other things but the wegens sound best compared to others. Perhaps I should order picks online haha.

rimm,

You mean like flipping the pick so the thumb indent is on the index finger side? I just tried that and it works quite well. I don't know why, but it's an easy fix. I might've wasted a perfectly good gp250 sanding it down. Oh well :lol:
  • The only way to get a Blue Chip AFAIK is to order online.

They used to do a money back guarantee thing but not for custom orders. If you are interested either call or email Mathew Goins and tell him you want a pick like the one he made for me or try one of their standard designs.

I found the tip shape that worked best for GJ is the TriPick tip.

I have them do something similar to a WEgen Big City. Allen, Mathews son will still have the drawing I am sure.

I probably still have new TriPoint on a bag around the house that I would sell at a discount.

It took me a year 2-3 hours a day on average to be able to discerne a tiny bit of wear on the tip shape.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ..works for me-I also find it gives me a lighter attack, which is half the battle. A lot of players have a very tense right arm and an almost static wrist which will wear down most picks pretty quick :P

Hope this is a long term fix!
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell