DjangoBooks.com

I played Selmer #103 tonight

V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
I went down to check out an up and coming gypsy jazz group "Hot Club of Berkeley" tonight. By the way, they are terrific. I have a feeling lead guitarist/composer George Cole is going to be a major gypsy jazz voice in the US in the next few years. They also have some amazing original compositions, and that already put them ahead of most gypsy jazz groups I've heard. Their site here: http://www.hotclubofberkeley.com dont miss them for Djangofest SF!.

Anyway, to my suprise George was playing on a 1932 Selmer Maccafferi (#103 to be exact).

After I introduced myself as a gypsy jazz player, George graciously invited me to play on it. Holding the instrument, I don't remember the last time my heart was beating so fast. It was a truly surreal and divine experience. The guitar had more soul and history than anything I have ever played. He had it set up wonderfully and it played like a dream. I was suprised at how wide the neck was, but I got used to it immediately.

Mr. Cole pointed out that there was a scuff behind the bridge, which seemed to indicate that somebody who performed in a tuxedo (with cuff links) may have owned and played it... and you know what that could mean.... wishful thinking, of course, but you never know.

I don't know, maybe some of you have played on a selmer, but for me it just seemed like a once in a lifetime deal. I'm still glowing after the experience.

Edit: Oh yeah, he also had a 1971 Favino oval, which I also got to play. It was like a gypsy jazz heaven.

Comments

• ArtillierieLourdeArtillierieLourde New HampshireNew Craig Bumgarner
    I played it too at Django in June. It was amazing. Did you also feel incredibly nervous while playing it. I have a video of me playing it on the YouTube channel GypsyZooca
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I played a selmer once but found it to be a dog of a thing! I think the modern copies by barault, castellucia, maruejouls etc. to be much better instruments. I think the selmer thing is cultism ..

mind you i played a 50's one , maybe the 30's ones are a different beast ..
  • Like any production guitar, there ar differences. As there were a number of people building selmers in their factory, the variation can be much more than with a good sole prractitioner.

I am sure there are dog selmacs out there and i am sure there are great ones and ones in between
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Wim, you need to get out more...
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • ArtillierieLourdeArtillierieLourde New HampshireNew Craig Bumgarner
    Oh thanks Michael for letting me play it. I recently lost your email so I haven't been able to thank you
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    My pleasure!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • The wonderful thing about the few selmers i have had the joy of trying is the harder you hit em the louder they go without breaking up.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed