DjangoBooks.com

Dunlop Wegen Like picks

2»

Comments

• If you like quiet picks them Blue Chip are the way to go. way quieter but they make the Wegen seem moderately priced :shock:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    It makes me wonder if the material Wegen uses is much more expensive or hard to manufacture, maybe just plain hard to work with period?

The short answer is ... yes. The material is more expensive AND harder to work with. Wegen's material doesn't allow the picks to be injection molded or stamped out of sheets. Additionally, each beveled edge has to be hand applied. The Dunlops look like they are injection molded and they don't have right-hand or left-hand specific bevels. Before someone asks -- no, I don't know specifically what the material is... AE
  • I believe the Wegen picks are made from 'Acetal', I'm sure I read that somewhere, though correct me if I'm wrong. I spent ages wondering what it was and then I found out somewhere (on this forum, I'm sure). As a resin I imagine it's pretty expensive stuff to buy, and it's probably purchased in thick sheet

Rather bizarrely, it seems like it's is fabricated by a science and engineering company called "Dupont"!:
    http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/Products/Delrin/Delrin.html. Funny coincidence :lol:

No idea about what the Dunlops are made from either but I thought they felt a lot softer, so probably wear more quickly.

I tried one of the guzz picks recently and thought the multiple edges would be really novelty but I think they work great. The less acute rhythm edge is smooth and mellow but still punchy, and the pointy edge gives you the classic lead sound.

I could also plug my own handcrafted mother-of-pearl inlaid ebony plectrums here, but I daren't... ;)