DjangoBooks.com

New to this forum

edited September 2012 in Welcome Posts: 3
Hello to all,
I'm new to this forum and just bought my first Gypsy jazz guitar 6 months ago. I been getting really into it more and more everyday. It's really great to see that there is a forum where I could learn the tips and tricks to playing the style.

Thanks,
Alex 8)

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Welcome !

Some general tips - Buy Gypsy Rhythm by Michael horowitz for a complete guide on rhythm playing (and watch Adrian Holivaty's videos to see how good rhythm looks).

Buy gypsy picking if you don't already have a handle on the rest stroke picking technique.

Buy Stephan Wremble's "getting into gypsy jazz" for an encyclopedia of arpeggios.

Buy Denis chang's DVD's for licks licks and more licks.

buy Daniel Givone's method book for note map/phrasing over chord shapes.

Buy "How I learned" by Gonzalo Barguera for more note maps/phrasing ideas.

But most importantly - USE PLAY ALONGS to practice. Denis chang has a good set of them.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Welcome to the forum, Alex, and to the fascinating and often frustrating world of gypsy jazz guitar. I echo all those suggestions. Start with Gypsy Picking and Gypsy Rhythm and learn solid fundamentals - it will save you a lot of grief later on. Once you've got a good handle on those, move on to the other suggestions. Denis' videos are excellent resources. The price may seem high at first, but the depth and breadth of material is amazing, and it will keep you happily occupied for years to come. Worth many times the price.

What kind of guitar did you buy?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working through the Robin Nolan book right now, and I bought a Michael Collins.
  • WElcome ...and you probably have enough to start on sooo :lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed