DjangoBooks.com

Who makes custom bridges in the Bay Area?

vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
Hi All,

I have an Latcho Drom Djangology that I've shimmed up quiet a bit. I'd like to have a custom bridge made for this. Are there places in the Bay Area to get this done? I've fit a few bridges to my guitar before, so I'm also open to suggestions of places to buy online. I'd order from Michael, but it looks like Dupoint has issued a stern warning not to put these on other instruments.
I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.

Comments

• Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    Contact Gryphon Stringed instruments in Palo Alto, I get all my work done there and they have never f*cked anything up for me. (they have installed a new tail piece and closed Schallers for me)
    They know what they are doing.
    On a second note, I live down in SJ and have been looking for someone to play in for a long time..
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I really don't think there's a problem using Dupont bridges on other guitars. Check with Michael to be sure.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    klaatu wrote:
    I really don't think there's a problem using Dupont bridges on other guitars. Check with Michael to be sure.

I'd agree with that. Any off the shelf bridge, Dupont's or any other, will need to be selected for the height you want, carefully fit to the top which may not have the same shape as a Dupont and notched for the strings. Not doing these things could yield inferior results and if not fit well, even damage the top. Maybe this is the source of the warning.

Typically there will be some final height adjustment via the notches or bases and a little reshaping and finish work. The mustaches may need to be moved to fit the new bridge or replaced for cosmetic reasons if too narrow. There are no standards for any of this between builders. A "standard" Selmer bridge is about 126mm long, 14mm wide and 19mm tall, but there are LOTS of variations.

All and all, if the tech has made these kinds of bridges before, he can probably make one that fits nicely as fast as modifying an existing one. If doing it yourself or the tech is not familiar with these bridges, might be best to start with a good example like a Dupont and modify as needed.